Author Topic: William Henry Davies  (Read 3168 times)

Offline richieswife

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Henry Davies
« on: Monday 18 January 10 19:24 GMT (UK) »
W H Davies, was my grandfather. Unfortunately, I know very little about him, as he died at the age of 26 in 1924. William married my grandmother Edith who was a widow, and also ten years older than William. They had two children, Muriel my mother and Harry my uncle. They lived for a while in lodgings in 19 Wind Street, which I believe is in Ynyshir, before moving to 22 Wind Street also lodgings, where eventually William died. Now while they lived at 19 Wind Street, a lady by the name of Phoebe Daviescame to live with them. Are you able to tell me if this is any relation to William?  William was a miner but died of Malaria, General Oedema and Haemorrhage. Is it possible to find out if William served in WW1 to have contacted Malaria as he did? As I mentioned my grandmother was a widow, when she married William. To find the marriage of my grandparents, I had been looking for my grandmother under her married name of Taylor,but Historic references have her down as Jones her maiden name? I cannot understand why she would change her surname back to her maiden name?      
Davies - Glamorgan; Neal - Glamorgan; Connors - London, USA; Jones - Manchester

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Henry Davies
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 10 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow - you have a lot of requests there!

I think you need to take it gently one step at a time.

For instance - the lady Pheobe - what do you know about her?  What records does she show up on?  Any clue as to age, even approximate?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 10 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

What year was your mother Muriel born?

When was Edith born - and where?   

What was the christian name of her first husband (Taylor) and when did she marry him

Did all events take place in Glamorgan or did this couple live outside Glamorgan at any time

William H died in the June qtr 1924 aged 26 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline richieswife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be 'rushing' things. To start my mother was born on March 27th. 1920, my grandmother was born in Chorlton, Manchester in May 16th 1888, she was one of 13 children.
As for Phoebe Davies, I know nothing at all about her, only that she went to live with Edith at 19 Wind Street, in 1922. Edith and family lived at this address from 1918 -1923. In 1924, William and Edith moved to 22 Wind Street.Details were sent to me by my cousin in Australia, and she received these from a librarian, in Treorchy library back in 2002.
Edith's first husband was Charles William Taylor, born in Coventry,Warks 1883. I am not sure when he died, but by the time Marjorie their daughter was getting married in 1928, Charles was already deceased. Not sure when Edith and Charles were married, but Marjorie was born in 1909.
I have no idea why Edith came to live in Wales. Only by a 'new cousin' I have found since looking for my ancestors, who tells me that Edith's parents used to take the whole family to Wales on holiday, whether there is any truth in this, I don't know!!   
Where W H Davies was born, again I do not know, but he died on 4th. June 1924, and is buried in Trealaw cemetery.
Edith went on to marry a third time to Charles Herbert Neal - May 12th. 1929.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 17:17 GMT (UK) »
She married Charles WILKINS Taylor - not William

Marriages September qtr 1907 

Edith Jones    Chorlton  8c 1612   
Charles Wilkins Taylor   

Marriages June qtr 1918

William H  Davies  Chorlton  8c 1200   
Edith  Taylor  Chorlton  8c 1200

The marriage is on Lancashire BMD and he was not William Henry - he was William HAYDEN

William Hayden Davies to   Edith Taylor (Jones) at  Manchester, Greenheys, St. Clement records at Manchester ref 60/3/444

Here is his birth reg

September qtr 1897 William Haydn Davies Pontypridd 11a 505

I would recommend you buy a copy of his birth cert to get his parents names so he can (hopefully) be found on the 1901 census

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline richieswife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your details, which quite honestly I am quite mystified about??

I have the death certificate of William, and he is definitely 'Henry'. In fact his son was named after him, and was always known as 'Harry'. Perhaps William preferred the name 'Henry' to Hayden, this is something we will never really know. However,  I will certainly get the birth certificate as you mentioned. I have already requested the marriage certificate of Edith and William.

Also on Marjorie , Charles Taylor's daughter birth certificate, although very old, states quite clearly that the father's name is Charles William Taylor.

Thank you for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Possible birth

Births March qtr 1883 

Charles Wilkins Taylor    Coventry  6d 560

Deaths

Charles W Taylor aged 31 June qtr 1914 Chorlton Vol 8c Page 979

Using the free 1911 index there is a Charles Taylor aged 27 living in Chorlton and there is an Edith Taylor in the same household.  There is also a Margery Taylor aged 2 - not Marjorie

I tried again using Charles Taylor b 1884 Coventry and it matched the details above

Offline richieswife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Carol.  :)

My aunt's name was spelt a couple of ways, but I think she used "Marjorie".

On W H Davies death certificate his age is given at 26 years old in 1924. However, with the date of his birth that you have found as 1897, then he was older than the age given on the death certificate?   ::)

Can you please now help me in finding any details on Charles Herbert Neal? He was a native of Wiltshire, but resided at Aberaman,Aberdare before he died. He served in HM Forces, and was stationed in India. He was also one of the first to joing the E Co. Home Guard. When he married my grandmother Edith Davies on May 12th 1929, he was a widower aged 55. On the marriage certificate it states his profession as Scaffolder. His father is mentioned as George Henry Neal.     

I have looked through historic records for Charles Neal, but can find no details at all. I have even asked relatives about him, but they have no recollecion of him, either.    

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 17:41 GMT (UK) »
However, with the date of his birth that you have found as 1897, then he was older than the age given on the death certificate?

His birth was registered in the Sept qtr 1897 so if he was born in - say September 1897, he would have been 26 in September 1923 so was still 26 when he died on 12.5.1924

You cannot just deduct 1897 from 1924 - you have to consider possible months of birth