Author Topic: cannell/pearce  (Read 15246 times)

Offline witchy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: cannell/pearce
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 10 21:42 GMT (UK) »
sorry folks just reread the letters. doh. am new to this. was ann ellens sister. and if the marriage was illegal why were they allowed to marry or were they not.
can you tell me who was born in 1851 james was born c 1820s because ellen was born c 1819.
i understood all the children ? born iom.
thanks
liverpool - fairway, stubbs, williams. flintshire wales - needham  williams. holland - fairway or dutch spelling of. whitehaven cumberland. pearce,  mcalone, richardson, miller. bolton le moor - miller / brocklebank /brockbank. isle of man - pearce, cannell.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:06 GMT (UK) »
The first marriage was legal - the second one broke the law re dead wife's sisters (see http://www.manxnotebook.comfamhist/genealgy/marr.htm if Ann was the sister - on what basis did you make that statement - Cannell is quite a common name on the Island.  Unless Ann was known to the surrogate (usually vicar of parish) who issued the licence then if they didn't inform him then he would have no reason to doubt that the marriage was legitimate - as judging from their addresses there was little money in the family so the danger that any children might be illegitimate wouldn't worry them (those with more means went to the Channel Islands were such marriages were legal) - in 1851 a daughter Ellen was born - see my first post

It is surprising at that period that none of the children other than it would appear Ellen who died so very young was baptised

any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline witchy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:26 GMT (UK) »
hi frances.
i have the 51 census.  but the stuff i have got about ellen and mary ann came from someone else. i have no family to ask. there are so many cannells i couldnt sort them out so i have loads of paper with cannell families  but none that match up. is it possible to get a marriage cert for that early 1843 if so i will send for one for ellen and one for ann.
thanks for your help i really appreciate it.
liverpool - fairway, stubbs, williams. flintshire wales - needham  williams. holland - fairway or dutch spelling of. whitehaven cumberland. pearce,  mcalone, richardson, miller. bolton le moor - miller / brocklebank /brockbank. isle of man - pearce, cannell.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:39 GMT (UK) »
no Voirrey has given the full information - civil registration only came post 1877 before this you get an expensive transcript of the 1911 official copy of the parish register entry - since you can borrow the mormon film of this transcipt for half the price (+ also get both your marriages!)  do it yourself (for LDS film numbers see my web site) but Voirrey may well have checked the actual registers as they are now held at manx Museum.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 January 10 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I    used   2    films   at   Manx   Museum.

Offline witchy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
thank you all for the information i dont know why i couldnt find it before. i had someone look for me in the beginning but nothing matched. i am now doing it myself. i cant thank you enough for all this information. i think i will book myself a holiday in iom and come and look at all the places and your museum.
witchy

Offline dawndennell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I am finding this thread very interesting as I am trying to find details of a James Pearce or Pierce.  My GG grandfather was Robert Pierce born 1831 and his father was James Pierce.  Robert was married on the Isle of Man in 1854 to Mary Clews.  Her mother was Ellen Quayle from the Isle of Man.  My family think the Pierces also came from the IOM.  If so James would have been born about 1810 as Robert was born 1831  Could they be related to your Pearces do you think

Rdegards

Dawn

Offline witchy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
hi
thanks for replying.
my james pearce was born 1821 in dover kent.
he married  ellen cannell in 1843 who died in 1852.
he then married a mary ann we think also cannell. james and ellen had a son called robert born 1843 iom.  i dont know anything about james before he went to the iom. cant find parents.
so dont know if he had a brother. its possible
knowing how many children folk had at that time. but his birth family remain a mystery. i know he was a sailor until he died  in 1878 in iom.
marie

Offline dawndennell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie
Thanks for replying, strange we are both looking for a Pearce, on the IOM.  looks like we are both never going to be able to trace them, I think I might go the the IOM for a couple of days in the spring if I can find anything I will let you know.  Regards  Dawn