Author Topic: James & Mary Ann Gregory Emigration to Tasmania  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
James & Mary Ann Gregory Emigration to Tasmania
« on: Tuesday 19 January 10 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,  :)

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the emmigration of James and Mary Ann Gregory? James was born circa 1830 in Wheatenhurst/Whitminster Glouc. And he gives his occupation on the 1851 census in Camberwell, Surrey as a carpenter. He married Mary Ann Wassell in Camberwell in June 1853.

I have his obituary from 4 Jan 1904 in the Hobart Mercury which mentions that he and his wife and child set sail from Liverpool on the Ocean Chief arriving in the Derwent  (Tasmania) 25 March 1855.

It mentions that in 1885 he visited Europe and I believe he also returned to visit "the homeland" Making his Home in Queensborough, Sandy Bay upon his return to Tasmania.

James was  member of the Queensborough Council, an elected member of the Queensborough Road Trust (1865) and had been re-elected ever since, chairman for 11 years. He was a prominent builder in his area, and it states that many great edifices stand in the city as a visible sign of his constructive skill. I believe reading further articles that they named Gregory Road in his honour.

Any help in finding out the Gregory emmigration plans would be very much appreciated. I know James and Mary Ann had eight children, but I'm not sure of the childs name who travelled with them from Liverpool.

Regards
Dee

Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Mary Ann Gregory Emmigration to Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 10 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dee,

This is an interesting puzzle.  The arrivals on the Ocean Chief have been indexed up to surnames starting with the letter K and the Gregorys do not appear.  If you have a look at the Tasmanian families database at http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=8  you will see that there were 10 children's births registered in Tasmania. The first child listed is James, but this is from a death registration which gives his place of birth as England (making 11 children altogether).  This would be the child they brought out, and there is a birth registration at Camberwell in 1854.  I wonder if the child died during the passage?  There is also mention that they arrived on the James Baines.  The only problem is that the James Baines did not make it's maiden voyage to Australia until 1855, arriving in Melbourne on 12 Feb - it did not go to Tasmania, and they do not appear on that passenger list either.  The confusion may be because the Ocean Chief was owned by James Baines and Co.  I suggest that you go over to the Australian board and post an enquiry - you might find someone who can help with more details.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=165   You can also read a digitized copy of James' will at the Tas archives site mentioned above.

If you haven't already had a look, newspapers at http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home have lots on James and family, including the announcement of his father's death in England in 1872, and his sister's death in 1899. (Just use "James Gregory" as your search term).

Debra

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
Re: James & Mary Ann Gregory Emmigration to Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Many thanks for your response  :)

Yes, it is a mystery isn't it. On a later voyage I did read somewhere that the purser of the Ocean Chief lost the passenger list overboard and had to construct a list from memory (6/11/1855-26/1/1856). It is odd that the newspaper article mentions James and his wife and son, arriving 25 March 1855, yet her birth as you say adds confusion my mentioning her arrival aboard the James Baines in 1854. I think I will do as you suggest and post a query on the Australian board.

I had been trawling through the NLA Australian newpapers and found many articles of interest relating to James and his family. I had also been reading through James will previously, and managed to find the eight children I mentioned, but was sure there were more. I had however completely missed births of the children, marriages and grandchildren of James and Mary Gregory on the www.tas.gov.au site, so many thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Thank you for all your help and suggestions, It's very much appreciated

Regards
Dee :)
Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham