Author Topic: The SOPER Family of St. Newlyn East, Cornwall  (Read 8985 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: The SOPER Family of St. Newlyn East, Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 00:26 GMT (UK) »
John MINORS = Ann OSBORN Sep 1/4 1843 Truro 9 333

Samuel BUTSON = Elizabeth SOPER June 1/4 1853 St Columb 5c 213

Note these marriages are the districts not the parishes. I would expect Samuel and Elizabeth married in Cubert as both families were from there. Unfortunately there are no banns available for this parish and I only have have pre civil registration marriages. Ann married away from home in one of the parishes in Truro (or reg office)

Hope it helps.........Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I just took a quick look and I note that all these inconsistencies seem to have been generated from this tree Althea has linked to. I cannot stress enough that you must check this information before entering it in your tree. You can see the inaccurate entries I have already corrected. There may well be others.  :'(

Cheers Kris  :)

Offline Arwald

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 01:03 GMT (UK) »
MMM I do hope I have not have wasted an entire morning transcribing all this information for you. I was really only trying to help.

The entries I have provided you with from Crantock and Cubert, I have transcribed directly from the original images of the parish records and the passenger lists directly from the original images also.

The most inaccurate thing I noted was records you mention listing Crantock, St Dennis. Most Peculiar and certainly not something I have ever seen before, nor ever expect to see again. Yet there I see it in that tree. That along with a marriage being listed in the wrong parish by you and in this tree. If this is your tree at least you can correct it. This is a problem sadly we see too often. The same inaccurate information finds its way into other trees without being properly verified. It is fantastic to find a tree to help along the way. I got the impression you were quite new at research and only wanted to make sure you checked and verified information before committing it to your tree. Certainly did not mean to upset.

Offline Arwald

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 01:42 GMT (UK) »
MMM I do hope I have not have wasted an entire morning transcribing all this information for you.

I wouldn't have thought so, I didn't have the specifics regarding the emigration of the four children to Australia, I'm most grateful for that. In fact the book clearly has a typo saying William Davis emigrated in 1857, but later on it says he was present at the Eureka Stockade in 1854.

The most inaccurate thing I noted was records you mention listing Crantock St Dennis. Most Peculiar and certainly not something I have ever seen before, nor ever expect to see again. Yet there I see it in that tree. That along with a marriage being listed in the wrong parish by you and in this tree.
I believe I took this information off other trees in www.myheritage.com.  There are three trees on there which list her birthplace as Crantocke, St. Dennis.

http://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-7805941/crook?familyTreeID=1
http://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-35237991/rogers-marshall?familyTreeID=1
third is non-public.

Two of these trees may of course have derived their information from the third.

Offline Sandra andrews

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 December 16 02:24 GMT (UK) »
I am the great granddaughter of William Davis soper from nz  and should any member of the family in the uk require information on this branch of the family  I maybe able to help..Sandra andrews Timaru ,nz.