Author Topic: IGI questions  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IGI questions
« on: Wednesday 20 January 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

A couple of questions regarding the IGI.

I have found quite a few records on the IGI which pertain to my needs. How reliable is the information, in that some say 'extracted from local records...' and others are 'added by a member...'?

I no for a fact that some of the 'added by' records are wrong .

The other question is, I have found a marriage listed that was 'extracted' but I would like some more information which may be listed on the original parish record. Is this the time when you would order a fiche from the local LDS or are their records different to the originals?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always

Ian
Ellis :- Hull and Devon
Holmes :- Yorkshire
Jull :- Kent
Johnson :- Hull
Roberts :- Leicestershire
Warry :- Leicestershire
Baldwin :- Gloucestershire

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: IGI questions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Ian

The extracted records on the IGI are transcriptions of original parish records, and are reliable, but you should bear in mind that they are transcriptions, so there is always the possiblity of a transcriber's error.  After all, some older parish records can be difficult to read.  I have found the occasional error in these extracted records.

The members' submissions, on the other hand, are not to be trusted - they are sometimes based on fact, sometimes based on assumption. 

The LDS microfiches are photos of the actual parish records.  The amount of detail shown varies according to the age of the record.  Before 1754 there was no set form of entry,and the information depended on the clergyman or his clerk.  Usually you find just the names of the bride and groom and the date, sometimes the parish of each.  In 1754 a pre-printed book was introduced. this included the names, status (bachelor, spinster, widow/er), parish of both, signature or mark of bride & groom, clergyman, and two witnesses. 

Gillg

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 09:21 GMT (UK) »
LDS microfiches and films are also available to view at county record offices and several RootChatters are willing to visit these record offices to look up information for others.  Had you thought of putting a request on the appropriate county board for someone to take a look at the marriage record you have found?

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Gillg

Thanks very much for the speedy reply. It all makes much more sense to me now!

I've posted a question on the West Riding board so here's hoping.

Cheers

Ian

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Ian

I should add that after 1837 the marriage records included the following:

- Name, Age, Profession & Residence of Groom
- Name, Age, Profession & Residence of Bride
- Date & Year when married
- Where they married
- Condition of Bride & Groom (e.g. widow, bachelor)
- Groom's Father's Name & Profession
- Bride's Father's Name & Profession
- Signatures of Bride & Groom
- Signature of person performing the ceremony
- Signatures of two witnesses
- Whether married by licence or by banns

Good luck with your search. 

Gillg

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 11:30 GMT (UK) »
It should also be pointed out that many of the IGI extracted records and some of the films are of the bishop's transcripts or in the former case of the printed copies of the bishops transcripts produced around 1900.

Thus in some cases you are not dealing with one transcription but two or three which leads to a higher chance of mistranscription.  Equally importantly at each transcription the additional information which is so important to the genealogist gets watered down or omitted.  Thus the IGI should always if possible be only treated as a lead to the actual records.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Gillg,

Once again thank you, all info helps me build up a better knowledge.

David,

Thanks to you as well, I wasn't aware they could be lots of different parts so I'll ensure I'm careful.

Thanks again to you both.

Ian