Author Topic: BURTOO family  (Read 7340 times)

Offline Cai Thomas

• RootsChat Member
  • Here to research Wolley, Toole, Thomas, Hemmens
    • View Profile
Re: BURTOO family
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I might as well give details of the other couple of marriages, perhaps you could keep them on file as you never know when you may connect with them.

St Mary Newington, Southwark
John Bertout of this parish, Bachelor
Elizabeth Dadge of this parish, Spinster
by Banns, on 5th October, 1828
Both signed
Witnesses Henry Quelch? James Toole? Emma Dadge, Keziah Quelch
all signed

This one is interesting - could it be an older sister to Nathaniel?
St James Paddington, Westminster - 28th March, 1842
Nathaniel Preston of full age Bachelor Dairyman, address Praed Street, father Joseph Preston, Butcher
Susannah Bertout Minor Spinster Harrow Road, father James Bertout, Gardener
Both made their mark
Witnesses James S? Bennett and Sarah Eldridge?

I'm thinking you might read up about Huguenots.

Any idea on Emma Dadge? Could this be a sister or a mother?
Wolley (London, Middlesex), Toole (London & Kings Langley hertfordshire, Bertout, Dadge, Griffiths, Worsley (Lancashire), Lewis & Tift (Lancashire), Mapstone/Mabston/Mapston

Offline Cai Thomas

• RootsChat Member
  • Here to research Wolley, Toole, Thomas, Hemmens
    • View Profile
Re: BURTOO family
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Mary,

Many, many thanks for the cross-link.  That is more than I never even hoped for, since that thread has, I believe, the marriage certificate of my 5x grandparents. 

Just a couple of weeks ago I felt I was getting a good grip on John Lawrence Toole and family, yet his parents were a mystery.  Now I have proof of their marriage, confirmation of Elizabeth's father and, thanks to some persistent googling, several detailed descriptions of James Toole, one of which describes him as a beadle-like character.  And given that JL Toole was a good friend of Charles Dickens it may be that "The Beadle" in Oliver Twist has some basis from the character of James Toole.

Andy

Andy, send me a private message if you would like more information on John & Lawrence Toole. I have been following your family tree on Ancestry and our trees cross!
Wolley (London, Middlesex), Toole (London & Kings Langley hertfordshire, Bertout, Dadge, Griffiths, Worsley (Lancashire), Lewis & Tift (Lancashire), Mapstone/Mabston/Mapston