Author Topic: Arthur Woodburn  (Read 4630 times)

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arthur Woodburn
« on: Thursday 21 January 10 05:03 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Woodburn, the Member of Parliament for Clackmannanshire many years ago, was a cousin of my grandmother, Elizabeth Woodburn. Is anyone on this list a descendant of Arthur Woodburn?

Thanks,
Ian Morrison
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline woodburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Woodburn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 August 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
Arthur was my great uncle, uncle of my mother Janet Brown Woodburn. Did you ever comes across Bobby Woodburn, seem to recall he made a 'Woodburn' family tree, love to get a copy!
Gordon Duffy, Edinburgh

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Gordon,
No, I have not had any contact with a Bobby Woodburn. However, I do have a partial family tree, starting with a William Woodburn born ca. 1700.
As you may know, the Woodburns, in common with many families, used the same first names in many branches of the family, making the correctness of the tree a bit uncertain. I did discuss it with some other Woodburn researchers some years ago and we agreed that what I have is probably correct.

I think it may be best to mail you a copy because it is a large file and emailing the scanned pages takes a long time.

I will send you a personal message and we can exchange contact information.

Ian Morrison
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 20:15 BST (UK) »
New members ususally need 3 posts to use PM (personal message) system.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline woodburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 September 10 09:50 BST (UK) »
I think your last 'personal' message did not get through, my email is (*). I can't quite remember whether or not Bobby was Arthur's brother, he lived in Sciennes are of Edinburgh think I maybe went there once and visited Arthur and wife Barbara quite a lot at the house in Orchard Road, Edinburgh. My brother Graham Woodburn Duffy passed all of Arthur's papers on the the NLS including what is now the 'Woodburn' collection of Soviet posters, plan to take my 15 year old son to see them at some point!
regards, Gordon

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 September 10 22:25 BST (UK) »
Gordon,

I think the only solution to this is for you to make one more posting, and then you will qualify to use the PM service.

I can only assume that my family had lost contact with the Woodburns, because we lived in Edinburgh for many years but I never met any of them, to my recollection (The name of our house was "Woodburn" and it still is, although my mother sold it several years ago.)

Ian

Offline woodburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 October 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
Ian
From your research you may know my mother Janet Brown Woodburn had two brothers George (George Brown) and Matthew and a sister Bella. George passed away only earlier this year a ripe 90 something'er.

An interesting bit of Woodburn folklore was that a Woodburn worked with Dunlop on the idea of the pneumatic tyre, got disenchanted and ended up in Paris after WWI (?).

Direct descendants moved to Corsica at some point -after selling out the tyre business (still disenchanted?) to an emerging company called Michelin!-  my brother Graham Brown Woodburn visited them in Corsica, Maud was the descendent as far as I can recall!

regards, Gordon