Author Topic: Birth in Victoria - Richard Arthur Saunders  (Read 4161 times)

Offline JAZZ1E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth in Victoria - Richard Arthur Saunders
« on: Thursday 21 January 10 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am having trouble finding a birth record for RICHARD ARTHUR SAUNDERS.

I have his death certificate/printout. That states he was born in Victoria, Canada and his father's name was DAVID SAUNDERS (Farmer) and mother's name was MARY SAUNDERS (nee SMITH).  He died 27 February 1927 at Opotiki, New Zealand aged 48, occupation Cabinet Maker.   He had been in NZ for 26 years at time of his death. So from all that, he was born approximately 1879.

Sorry that is all I have to go by. Any help will be appreciated.
- Jasmine
POOK, HAIRA, SAUNDERS, CRAWFORD, ARMSTRONG, BROWN, SIMPSON, BANNISTER, BEDFORD, BARNETT

Offline Frank on Thetis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Victoria - Richard Arthur Saunders
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 10 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Jazzie

I searched the BC Archives site for Saunders born in Victoria, BC but no Richard Arthur Saunders.  Here is the website and if you input Surname Saunders and City Victoria it will give you records for that last name.  I also checked Vancouver with no luck.

Frank on Thetis

http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-3931821/gbsearch/Births,Marriages,Deaths
Redpath, Berwickshire & Northumberland
Grieve, Northumberland
Colston, Scotland & Ireland

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 10 04:31 GMT (UK) »
There is an Arthur Saunders born 4 DEC 1885 in Nanaimo, which is on Victoria Island, located approx. 50 miles north of Victoria, the city.

You might want to check this one. You could get the details searching the website Frank provided and request a lookup, as there are some BC rootschatters that have access to these records.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline JAZZ1E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 10 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Frank.
Thanks Linda for the possibility. It is hard to know the areas considered to be Victoria since I am not familiar with Canada at all.
This is a frustrating mystery as I also cannot find them on the 1881 Canada census either
POOK, HAIRA, SAUNDERS, CRAWFORD, ARMSTRONG, BROWN, SIMPSON, BANNISTER, BEDFORD, BARNETT

Offline Frank on Thetis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 10 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Jazzie

Victoria is on Vancouver Island, a large Island off the coast of British Columbia, Canada and is the capital of B.C.  Nanaimo is called the 'hub' of Vancouver Island (roughly central) approx. 50 miles north of Victoria and was developed after coal was found in the 1850's.    Vancouver is the largest city in B.C. on the mainland.  We are planning to visit the BC Archives in Victoria within the next month or so for some family records and could check the Arthur Saunders birth for you.  All B.C. BMD records are on microfiche and are held in the archives in Victoria.  The 1885 birth doesn't quite match but we hand a situation that a relative we thought was born around 1812/15 in Berwickshire was actually born in 1805 so you never know.

Frank
Redpath, Berwickshire & Northumberland
Grieve, Northumberland
Colston, Scotland & Ireland

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 10 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Oops yes Vancouver Island. Don't know how I managed that, especially when I've visited both. Thanks Frank for the correction.

I have had many relatives go by their second name and age often off. I would suggest asking for a lookup for that one. Would be nice if the parents match for you.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline JAZZ1E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Frank for the offer of look up but I put out another request and another kind RCer had a look and sadly the parents names do not match the parents names.
So back to the drawing board for me.   ???
I might try some strange variations on names to see if that helps me?

Offline cosmos

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 18:18 GMT (UK) »
HI Jazzie, had a look at the 1911 Canadian Census. There is an Arthur Saunders, age 25, living with his wife Rachel, age 18, in Nanaimo.  His occupation is listed but the ink is so blurry I find it impossible to read.

Good Luck.
Sussex: Eade, Ede, Eede,Eedes, Comlidge, Risbridge , Randall
Gloucs: Burchell
Worcs:  Boden or Bodin

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jazzie

Tried something - thought maybe he was named later, so searched without a first name.

There is a male birth in Victoria with birth date 30 DEC 1892. This looks promising. Cancel this as date is quite off.

Reg. #:  1892-09-006175
B.C. Archives Microfilm #:  B13810

I've my fingers crossed for you.

BTW Frank there are also some libraries in B.C. that hold the records. Two fellow rootschatters have been so kind as to provide details for me.

Linda