Author Topic: Birth in Victoria - Richard Arthur Saunders  (Read 4160 times)

Offline Frank on Thetis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in Victoria - Richard Arthur Saunders
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 01:57 GMT (UK) »
waiteohman

Linda

Are they on Vancouver Island?  Victoria has a decent sized library but would imagine the ones you are talking about would be in Vancouver.  Not sure if a non-city resident can get access to Public Library material.  We are mid-island so visit Victoria maybe once a month.

Frank
Redpath, Berwickshire & Northumberland
Grieve, Northumberland
Colston, Scotland & Ireland

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Frank

The Nanaimo Family History Society has the Vital Events microfilm at its library.  Nanaimo might be closer for you if you're on Thetis Island.

The NFHS website is http://www.members.shaw.ca/nfhs/index.htm

The library is open limited hours as it is manned by volunteers but there is a wealth of material in the building which is located near Country Club Mall in Nanaimo. 

Susan

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Frank

Vancouver Public & Simon Fraser University have them. I found this information searching the National Library's Union catalogue. You could check with your local library. They may be able to arrange an interlibrary loan, if they don't have them. Or a visit to Nanaimo as Susan suggests.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Frank on Thetis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Susano

Susan

My old stomping grounds and we are on Thetis.  My mother was a member of the Nanaimo Historical Society but stopped attending when she quit driving.  Thanks for the link.  The April 17 meeting looks very enticing with the speakers they have scheduled.  I see the meeting is at Beban Park, but is the library in/ or near Country Club?

Thanks

Frank
Redpath, Berwickshire & Northumberland
Grieve, Northumberland
Colston, Scotland & Ireland

Offline JAZZ1E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Is there the only 1 Victoria in Canada?  The death cert states "Victoria, Canada". There is no mention of BC, I just assumed???

I also wondered if he was born Saunders but then searching by Richard only on Frank's link did not find a close match.
POOK, HAIRA, SAUNDERS, CRAWFORD, ARMSTRONG, BROWN, SIMPSON, BANNISTER, BEDFORD, BARNETT

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank

Yes, the NFHS library is on the corner of Norwell Drive and Victoria Avenue, close to Country Club Mall.  It's in the same block as the Ukrainian Church and a stone's throw from the old Wellington Pub.  It's a tiny building, jam-packed full of materials, a few computers, microfilm readers, printers, etc. 

It's open limited hours on T, W, Th and Sat (check the website for the exact hours) but the volunteers who man the library are most helpful.  I've never had a problem getting a computer when I've dropped in.  It's so convenient being able to search the Vital Events microfilm there....saves a trip to Victoria or Vancouver.

They hold their monthly meetings at Beban and usually draw a pretty fair crowd.  There is going to be a Genealogy Fair in April with a guest speaker from London....should be interesting.

If you're in Nanaimo, you might want to drop by the library and take a look around.

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAZZ1E

In answer to your question, you may want to check out this website:

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0008358

It discusses the occurrences of "Victoria" in place names, municipalities, etc. in Canada. 

Susan

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 15:17 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07xo/
On the 1881 census there is a David and Mary Saunders living in Prince Edward County, Sophiasburg Township, Ontario with a son Richard, born Ontario in 1872.  This same couple on the 1871 census are living in Prince Edward County, Hallowell Township with children Sydney and Louise.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 16:45 GMT (UK) »
The Ontario locator indicates that there was and still is a Victoria in Ameliasburgh Township Prince Edward County
http://www.rootschat.com/links/07xq/

1880 maps for counties in Ontario
http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/SearchMapframes.php

This is a pay site but their database does show references to David Saunders and Richard
http://quinte-kin.com/magrc.htm

Debbie