Author Topic: Wicklow parish lookup  (Read 5663 times)

Offline teddy24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wicklow parish lookup
« on: Thursday 21 January 10 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Longshot but hoping someone may be able to look up and advise any further details for following:

John Young baptised Co Wicklow 1801 (pretty sure there is only 1 record according to register check I did, definitely Roman Catholic)

sorry don't have more detail, I know he married and had children, (do have these details but not relevant for this) John was living in London by at least 1839 and census record for 1851 Greenwich states his birthplace as Wicklow, so worth a check...

thanks for any help,

Denise

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Wicklow parish lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
you would need to know which parish ... there are quite a number of RC parishes in the county - see the Irish Times page - http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/wicklowrc.htm

Microfilms of Catholic record are available in the National Library in Kildare St in Dublin.. but be aware that many parishes do not  have records surviving from this time.

Some Co. Wicklow RC baptisms are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at - www.irish-roots.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline teddy24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tips Shane, I will try tracking down some more details...

cheers,
Denise

Offline sarabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 10 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Denise,
  I found a John Young born on 03/05/1801 in Bray, Wicklow.  Bray is just south of Dublin on the shore.  His father was listed as Simon Young and his mother was Esther Young.  The baptismal sponsers were Thomas Murray and Edna McDaniel.
Hope this helps!!

Sara Carroll

Offline teddy24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 10 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sara,

Thanks for this lookup, I think it could be a possibility as only one record result found for Wicklow parish search, also I know that my John Young named a daughter Esther...
Hopefully from here I will be able to make some confirming connections..

thanks again!!

Denise

Offline sarabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
I found the following...One of these Esther's is your John's sister and the other could be his daughter..

Esther Young born 01/12/1828 to John Young and Esther Mooney   sponsor Miles Mooney

Esther Young born 29/05/1819 in Bray to Simon and Esther Young
    Sponsors   Richard Gaskins and Margaret Gaskins

Offline teddy24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 10 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the great info, another relative is also on the lookout and she has found following:

"Children born in Wicklow to a Simon Young . . . .

1801 John  *
1803 Elizabeth
1806 Marcella
1809 Thomas  *
1812 Catherine *
1814  W M
1819 Esther *

Every name for  John and Margaret's kids  (that we have found!) is in this family too."

Seems Esther you found would be my John's sister, the other Esther I feel may not be his daughter though, as I know that John was married to Margaret (surname unknown), there are census records for John and Margaret i.e. 1851 Greenwich where John is listed as a stonemason, and shows children John, Thomas and Esther...

Have been able to place John Young snr and Margaret squarely in Camden Town in 1854 until sometime before 1861, as I have a photo of them (not named!) but taken in Camden Town and has the photographer name on the back which helped with the dating...

All this is looking very positive so far...thanks so much again for taking your time to look up this info..

cheers,
Denise

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 10 11:16 GMT (UK) »
...John Young baptised Co Wicklow 1801 (pretty sure there is only 1 record according to register check I did, definitely Roman Catholic)

...could be a possibility as only one record result found for Wicklow parish search,....

I would recommend being a bit cautious about thinking of any search of Co. Wicklow Catholic baptism for 1801 as 'complete' - as many of the parishes do not have records that old. e.g.

Kilquade    from  1826
 Blessington    1852
 Blackditches    1810
 Roundwood    1881
 Little Bray            1863
 Ashford            1864
 Glendalough    1807
 etc...

Since you dont have a location of origin for John (other than 'Wicklow') I would think it may be worth trying to find other clues for John's family that could connect, or rule out, the baptism that Sara mentioned, in case there is another Young family which lived in one of these parishes..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests