Author Topic: ARBERTHANY-Kincardineshire  (Read 4229 times)

Offline mvamastra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ARBERTHANY-Kincardineshire
« on: Thursday 21 January 10 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on Arberthany-Kincardineshire.?
A relative, John Roberts born about 1800 gave this as his place of birth, and oddly enough his wife Jane Taylor also gave it as her place of birth.
I have been informed that it could have been a farm.
His father James Roberts and her father John Taylor were both farmers, maybe on the same farm.
I have been searching high and low but to no avail, any information would be welcome.

Thank you,
John.

Offline Pittyman67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ARBERTHANY-Kincardineshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 January 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Thing you are looking for Abernethy and Kincardine which a Parish in the Scottish Highlands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abernethy_and_Kincardine

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 January 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Please note the other thread on the same topic at:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=431876.new#new

'mvamastra' If they were farmers - have you tried looking for a will?  There is a free will search at the ppv site www.sotlandspeople.gov.uk  £5.00 to download if you find one.

Regards,   Steve

Offline mvamastra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 10 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Pittyman67

I did think about it being abernethy but at the same time the brothers and sisters of John Roberts were born in Kinneff, confusing stuff, thak you for your reply.

John

Offline mvamastra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Steve.

Chasing a will just might give me an answer, thats if they were flush enough to leave one.

regards John

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 10 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I spent some time on this yesterday. 

As you said there was an intertwining of the Roberts and the Taylor families. So went looking for wills on Scotlands People for both and on www.freecen.org.uk 1841 census records for both.  Scotlandwide surprisingly there appears to be a dearth of wills for anyone with the name James Robert/s  The entry below is for a James Robert  - if memory seves it's ?39 pages.

ROBERT   JAMES   29/07/1835   RESIDING AT BURGHHAUGH OF INVERBERVIE WITHIN THE PARISH OF BERVIE       STONEHAVEN SHERIFF COURT   SC5/41/5

The from www.frrecen.org.uk there is the 1841 census record below.  I know the address is not the same but similar.  On the freecen site, when you check houses to the side they also have Burn in the name.  If I was you I'd send an e-mail from within Scotlandspeople.gov.uk and ask them to double check the address for the will above.

I also don't know if the family make up corresponds with what you know.

Good luck with your searching.  Regards,   Steve

Address: Burnhaugh
          TAYLOR         Christian         F         55         Female Servant          Kincardineshire                   
          TAYLOR         Christian         F         40         Female Servant          Kincardineshire                   
          TAYLOR         Christian         F         15         Farmers Daughter          Kincardineshire                   
          LYON         Alexr         M         14         Agricultural Labourer          Kincardineshire                   
          MILNE         George         M         13         Agricultural Labourer          Kincardineshire              

Offline mvamastra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 10 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Steve.

The death of James Robert on 20/07/1833 could fit in with other births of siblings, and with the will being 39 pages long he must have had a few pennies to share out.

The John Taylor I'm seeking had a wife Jane Forbes, but again the age is about right, and to have 2 servants an a daughter named Christian all at the same time seems abit over the top.

Thanks for your help.

John.