Author Topic: No maiden name on birth cert  (Read 3435 times)

Online alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No maiden name on birth cert
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
T  I am thinking now about other ways of confirming her identity (the marriage cert for the most likely marriage - in 1875 - only confirms names, not that she is then the one we see in 1881).  I am going to try certs for later children to see if she felt able to put her maiden name on them. 

If you get that marriage cert, it will may give you her age at marriage and it will give you her father's name and occupation.  You can then try to match up that age with her age on later censuses and also to match her birthplace from the later censuses with a girl, her age, her father and birthplace from 1861 and 1871 censuses.  If there are several possible matches, you could also try to pin down what happened to those other girls from 1881 on.  Hope you understand that - I'm aware it sounds rather complicated!

If it was me doing this, I'd buy just one cert at a time, because the first one you buy may solve the mystery, but if it doesn't, it will only take a week or so for the next one to come from the GRO.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No maiden name on birth cert
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 10 14:15 GMT (UK) »
You are right, complicated, but I follow what you are suggesting. Whichever route i take, I'll be putting in references to check so that I waste only £3 a time!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia