Author Topic: Bateman of Oak Park, Tralee, Kerry  (Read 7382 times)

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bateman of Oak Park, Tralee, Kerry
« on: Friday 22 January 10 07:09 GMT (UK) »
My gg-gm was Elizabeth Bateman, born abt 1824 in co. Kerry who married Rev. Thomas O'Regan b. 1821 in Ennis.  The record of their marriage in 1845 lists her father as John Bateman.  I believe this John Bateman was the incumbent of Oak Park, Killeen, Tralee, b. 1792 who married Frances Bland in 1824; however I have not been able to find anything to confirm this.  This lineage of Bateman is outlined in Burke's Landed Gentry which ends with John Bateman and mentions his son Rowland Bateman b. 16 May 1826 but makes no mention of a daughter (which would have been my gg-gm).  If anyone can help locate a birth or christening record I would be very grateful!
Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire: Edwards, O'Regan, Brewster, Jones, Pitt
Kent: Warde, Francis, Woodgate
Ireland: O'Regan (co. Clare), Bateman (co. Kerry)
South America: O'Regan
Canada (Quebec, NB): Sayers, Sayer, Taylor

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bateman of Oak Park, Tralee, Kerry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 10 11:14 GMT (UK) »
William Bateman was the incumbant of Oak Park 1831 it then passed on to Collis Sandes, there was a John Bateman living around that time, he lived in Dublin.

Brendan

(Source the Families of Co. Kerry by Michael C O'Loughlin)

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 10 06:41 GMT (UK) »
I've seen the reference you mention however I don't think it contradicts my information.  John Bateman's son Rowland Bateman was born there in 1826 so presumably John B was resident at Oak Park as late as 1826. John B likely died or otherwise vacated Oak Park sometime between 1826 and 1831 and his brother William (b. 1797) succeeded him.   The registration of Elizabeth's marriage in 1845 lists her father as John Bateman, however the witness to the marriage was Rowland Bateman, which is consistent with John's prior death and Rowland being her brother (but not conclusive).   Elizabeth's place of birth is listed as Kerry, Ireland in about 1824 on the English census records of 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891.   In our family we have a painting of a young man which family story says is a portrait of Rowland Bateman, Lt. in 64th Regiment of Foot, (2nd North Staffordshire) who was killed in the relief of Lucknow in 1857 and whom I believe to be the same Rowland Bateman, but I have no conclusive documentation.

I would dearly love to find a birth/christening record for Elizabeth and/or Rowland if anyone has access to Kerry CofI records.     Tom
Cheshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Worcestershire: Edwards, O'Regan, Brewster, Jones, Pitt

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:53 GMT (UK) »
...I would dearly love to find a birth/christening record for Elizabeth and/or Rowland if anyone has access to Kerry CofI records.     Tom

There are Church of Ireland records for Co. Kerry available on the IrishGenealogy website at : http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/

the oldest available Bateman is an Elizabeth with a familiar sounding father's name, but in the RC Parish of Tralee  :

Baptism of Elizabeth BEATMAN on 23 May 1790
 Father   Roulin Bateman
 Mother   Johanna Barrett

there is a possible match for Elizabeth brother sibling in Tralee CofI parish in 1825 - but that seems to be the earliest available connection to John & Frances :

Baptism of Rowland Bateman on 2 June 1826
 Father   John Bateman
 Mother   Frances N/R

I dont know if the family were in Tralee, or Kerry, earlier than that as it's the earliest CofI Bateman record I see - although the Tralee records on that site go back to 1771 .

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Shane, thank you very much for the link to the irish genealogy site!   The Rowland Bateman baptism is definitely the correct family.   I've looked through the website for any record of Elizabeth but nothing comes up, not even her marriage to Thomas O'Regan on 24 Sep 1845 in the CofI parish church of Booterstown, co. Dublin (I have a copy of the marriage record from the microfilm at the FHC of the LDS).   I also have various family records that indicate that she was descended from this same line of Bateman of Oak Park, so its puzzling there is no record of her.   I see on the website that the online records for Kerry and Dublin are incomplete so I can only hope that she will show up in future updates, unless there are other sources available?   

The family was in Tralee from about 1654 when it was established by Rowland Bateman who settled in the area and was high sherriff of the county and collector of customs at Tralee.   The first mention of Oak Park, Killeen, Tralee is for his grandson, also Rowland Bateman who was born in Jan. 1705 and this was the family seat for the next 4 generations.

Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 10 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Records for Booterstown are not on the IrishGenealogy website but are on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at : www.irish-roots.ie The list of their CofI sources includes baptisms for the parish from 1824, and marriages from 1845.

You should be able to order a civil cert from the GRO for Elizabeth's marriage.. these look like the correct details :

Name: Elizabeth Bateman
 Registration district: Rathdown
 Record type: Marriage
 Registration date - quarter and year: 1845
 Volume: 9 / Page: 411

Name: Thomas O'Regan
 [same index details]

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline toedwar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane - I made a photocopy of the entry in the bishop's transcripts for their wedding from the LDS microfilm.   Would this have all the same information as what would be on the GRO certificate?   Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Church records can include less (or occasionally more) details than a civil cert.  See this post in the Ireland Resources section for details included on these  :

Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Tierneylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 February 10 03:22 GMT (UK) »
hiya

if i can be of any help give me a shout...i live in Tralee...i can take photos etc if you like of a specific area or if there a specific place i can do a lookup for you in Tralee? Or I can ask if there anyone with local knowledge etc....

DUTTON/Hulme
TIERNEY /Liverpool and Hulme
MARGERISON/MARGERSON/Glossop
WADDELL/Liverpool and Hulme
WAKEFIELD/Stockport
HURST
CARNEY/Liverpool and Manchester
ELLA/Yorkshire and Manchester