Author Topic: Christina Belfrage born about 1823  (Read 17945 times)

Offline electricsoup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Belfrage born about 1823
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hirdy,
             Familysearch list Robert and Margaret's children as Robert, Margaret Belfrage and Jessie, all born Auchtermuchty (although Robert is mistakenly listed as being born in Auchterderran). I think he married Wilhelmina Gardiner. Their headstone is in Auchtermuchty.
                                                                                           Stuart

Offline RConway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 13 February 11 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hirdy,
I've just come into this discussion about Christina Belfrage born 1823 (or 1821) and working my way through the replies since your first post. I'm also looking into the Fife ancestry, but I'd started with my great grandmother Christina Belfridge Yeaman who was one of the 2 daughters who arrived in Melbourne in 1876 with parents Alexander Yeaman and Ann Orange Blues. I found that my gg had married a Jas McKenzie in Victoria in 1889 when she was either 18 or 21 (??). I was hoping to get a copy of the marriage certificate but no reply yet from Victoria bmd. What I knew about this Christina is that she came to New Zealand not long after this marriage and had her first child there with James Cameron Shirreffs from Aberdeen. I haven't yet found a record of their marriage, but his brother's and sister's are recorded. In New Zealand, they had 9, maybe 10 children, starting from 1893 (so not long after the first marriage). They were the parents of my grandmother, Florence.
And yes, I would be very interested indeed, if you could fill me in on what you know about Alexander Yeaman and family and their time in Melbourne.
Best wishes,
Robyn

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 14 February 11 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Robyn,

I am the great-grand-daughter of Matilda Yeaman, Christina's younger sister.  I have a lot of information on the Yeamans, Blues, Belfrages etc. and am happy to share.  When you have enough posts (I think it is about 5) we can communicate privately. 

I have several certificates including the marriage certificate of Alexander Yeaman and Ann Orange Blues.  I don't have any information on your great grandmother Christina, apart from the fact that she married James MacKenzie in Vic in 1889 and had a daughter Annie who died in 1890.  Anything would be appreciated.

Be in touch.

Hirdy
Melbourne

Offline RConway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 14 February 11 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hirdy,
The great granddaughter of Matilda! I'm very much looking forward to this information you can share with me about our ancestral past that I've only started to learn about. And thank you for that clue about the child, Annie who died. I'd wondered about the possibility of earlier children. Do you think James had a middle name?
I'll speak to my father soon about anything he might remember being told. He's old, but was brought up around all that side of the family, the many of them. As I grew up 300 miles away, I'd see them very occasionally, so was only acquainted with those who didn't live in my grandmother's neighbourhood.
all the best,
Robyn

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 14 February 11 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Robyn,

Once you get a bright green little flag (about 5 posts) we can go private.  I you are now at 2. 

A bit more information to wet your appetite, but there is lots more to come.  I hope I don't overwhelm you. 

Alexander Yeaman and Anne Orange Blues married 2 Aug 1869 in Liverpool.  They had 4 children, Christina (your relative), Matilda (1873 - 1959), Alexander (1879-1879) and Annie (1886-1886).  The oldest 2 were born in Liverpool and traveled to Melbourne with their parents.  The younger 2 were born in Melbourne but did not survive long. 

Alexander Yeaman was born in Scotland about 1848 and died 7 January 1886.  Annie was born 16 July 1846 and died 7 October 1947, at the age of 101.  I have a lovely photo of her (your great great grandmother) as a very old woman in 1935 with my grandfather George Alexander Morris.  I also have a photo of Matilda with her mother Annie about the same date. 

Hirdy
(real name Chris{tine}).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 14 February 11 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Christine, two or three posts on the main forum should be enough for Robyn's Private Message service (PMs) to be activated  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RConway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
And I'll just have to wait until the green flag shows up. Until then, I'm really looking forward to finding out more from you. I'm so curious about what happened to these people when they were in Melbourne. I'd like to know about their life in Liverpool too. I was noseying around Bridgewater street on Streetview - where John and Ann lived, and according to the 1871 census, with a very large number of boarders, nieces and nephews. Most of the buildings, right by the wharves, are now demolished. I'm still looking for information on what the demolished buildings were. Curiously, there was a 1 year old living with them (another Ann Orange), described as their daughter, when by then they were a wee bit too old for producing more children, unless she was a grandchild. . . .
Before too long I may have to go and walk on the very soil of my ancestors in Fifeshire.
Robyn

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 03:04 GMT (UK) »
Robyn,

I actually went to many of the towns and villages of the various families when I visited my daughter in England last October.  Took lots of photos, although haven't sorted them all out.  Only drove in and out of Liverpool because of all the traffic.  Had a great time in many parts of Fifeshire including Auchtermuchty & Strathmiglo. 

Keep in touch

Chris

Offline RConway

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 20 February 11 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
I need to spend more time analysing all this information above. It's great that there's so much interest and informed input when I've come into the discussion at this advanced stage. I'm preparing an enormously complex local history talk for this Thursday, so will get back to you after it's over.
All the best,
Robyn