Author Topic: Fulham RoadWorkhouse/Infirmary Records  (Read 13114 times)

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse/Infirmary Records
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 January 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
the LMA have put workhouse records online up into the 1940's.... so it would be very interesting to know what you can view when you visit.

The workhouse records from the LMA are on ancestry - I had a look  to see if any members of my family had ended up in the workhosue and was a little shocked to see how late the records were...

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 10 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Lemon

In the case of Fulham Road Infirmary, it seems that until it came under NHS the records can be viewed after only 65 years..This seems to  be the rule that when it comes under NHS then the 100 year rule comes into place.

Fulham Road Infirmary became
St Stephens Hospital in 1924, still under the City of Westminster Board of Guardians, 1930 it then came under London County Council, that is why you are seeing some records in the early 1940's.

Jeanette
London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 January 10 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanette

I was at the LMA today and looked in their catalogue for the Fulham Rd Infirmary and/or workhouse.

If you haven't already, may I suggest that you contact them and clarify what their holdings actually are for the 1920's. I think there may be a gap in the records between 1913 and 1930 ie they don't have any.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fulham RoadWorkhouse/Infirmary Records
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Update

For the year dated 1920 Kelleys Directory lists 369 Fulham Road as Westminster (city of) union Infirmary/  367 Fulham Road  is listed as Westminster (city of) Union Workhouse.

Westminster Board of Guardians for Fulham Road Infirmary are Webg/sg and Webg/cw.   The SG stands for St Georges Union and the CW is for City of Westminster union. LMA are extremely helpful and I advice you email them prior to your visit.

After my visit to LMA this week, sorry to say I could find no record of my Grandmother or her twin daughters.  I went through the admission/discharges records, creed records, case books which was a register of people booked in by the medical registrar and the outcome (discharged or entered into the infirmary) I could find no records for infirmary patients (as in giving birth) there.  I checked the Masters Log and journal, although there are  records of the numbers of infants in the workhouse.  I also checked the childrens Committe minutes WEBG/CW/20/1-7 and Ashford School Register.

Jeanette
London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Offline annettmcm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 April 12 21:48 BST (UK) »
Do any of you have any more info on WM Starns, and could you let me know where this was located , My great grandfather was a william starns although I believe he died in1919, I am in the states and on a very limited income so I cannot pay alot for the info ,
Any information would be helpful!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 April 12 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi annettmcm

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Having re-read this topic I don't think the posters here have an interest in the Starns surname so may be unable to help further.

I see you started a topic on the Sussex board but didn't give enough information for people to help you.

If you haven't done so already, our help pages can be quite useful, try this

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_best.php

and this

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea