Author Topic: DRUMMOND and CREIGHTON, Annan area  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Oso

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DRUMMOND and CREIGHTON, Annan area
« on: Saturday 23 January 10 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Searching for any info, especially names of parents or earlier ancestors, of my ggggg grandparents, William DRUMMOND and Mary CREIGHTON of the Annan or other areas in Dumfriesshire.  Both were born circa 1750 at an unknown location.  They both may also have had roots in Kirriemuir, Angus.  Their son, David DRUMMOND, born at Kirriemuir and married to Elizabeth NICOL of Kirriemuir, finished out his life at Annan as a tailor, probably in the 1840s.  He had earlier been a sergeant in the 42nd Regiment of Foot from 1799 to about 1823, serving 10 of approx. 24 of his years in the British Army in India.  The daughter of David and Elizabeth, Isabella DRUMMOND, born about 1800 at Annan, married an Irishman there in 1818 named Michael MCCARRON.  Both subsequently moved back to Michael's home area in Donegal, Ireland, and finally, in the 1840s, migrated to Ashfield, Huron County, Ontario, Canada.  Any info at all on this family will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
Re: DRUMMOND and CREIGHTON, Annan area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
there are 4 children all born annan to a couple with these names david 1774  eaglesfield  1778 helen 1771 jean 1776   might not be important but there is a village called eaglesfield about5/6 miles from annan csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline Oso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, csc!  I hadn't heard of David's siblings and certainly not Eaglesfield, but Eaglesfield Drummond ought to be hard to miss in any further searches for the family.  I'm also a little surprised that there seem to be as many Drummonds in the Annan area, since I thought they centered around the area of Angus.  Any idea why?  Anyway, thank you very much for the response.  I'll see what I can do with those added siblings' names.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 06:42 GMT (UK) »
drummond is quite rare in annan but there are at least 3 drummond men being fathers around the same time james, william. peter.  i dont know if any of these are family name   mary creightons on the other hand are numerous with david being the main name for the boys  csc

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 08:26 GMT (UK) »
eaglesfield is definitely a boy born at potterlands  who knows where potterlands annan is ?????????? csc

Offline Oso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 16:56 GMT (UK) »
csc:

Potterlands reminds me of "Potter's Field."  Any idea what the Annan Cemetery is called or if there is also a "potter's field" around there, meaning a cemetery for indigents?  David, however, was supposed to have been a tailor in Annan so maybe he wasn't an indigent, though I do recall that he was not 100% well, having contracted something in India for which he was discharged from the army.  I had worked on this family a little bit up until 2004, but a large forest/brush fire burned a number of houses, including mine, and about ten years of genealogical work, computer and everything else I owned along with it.  I hadn't tried until recently, the "wind having been taken out of my sails" because of the fire, to duplicate any of the info I had.  I had seen an obit from somewhere in Dumfriesshire other than Annan for "Sgt. Drummond" and I know he had a wife at one time, Elizabeth Nicol, but I'm not sure whatever happened to her.  There was also a marriage at Annan between David's daughter, Isabella, and Michael (or possibly another name...record appeared erased) McCarron at an Annan church circa 1818, but all of that info was lost.  Michael McCarron was Catholic, so I assume any wedding was in a Catholic church in Annan.  I just recall from a distant Canadian cousin that he had been in the 42nd Regiment of Foot for about 23 years, from 1799 onward, but that cousin's address, etc., was lost, as well, in the fire.

James, William and Peter Drummond...okay, I'll work on that angle and see if there's any family connection.  The only child of David's (William's son) that I know of is Isabella, my ggg grandmother, who came to Canada, married name McCarron.  With an Irish surname, she is not in Donald Whyte's "Dictionary of Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation."

Thank you, again, csc!  Much appreciated!

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
lots of drummonds annan old burial ground  i think all the same family   as follows    no 88 here lyes agnes gayeller spouse to david drummond saylmaker in annan who died january ye 27th 1749 aged 40 years     no 50  in memory of william drummond who died april 24th 1805 aged 67 years much regretted i the circle in which he moved as an exemplary christian and esteemed member of society and mary  creighton his second wife who died 6th march 1829 aged 79 years also eaglesfield  james and robert their sons who died in infancy  and william their son who died 27th august 1836 aged 54 years  also david drummond their son sargt of the 46th regt of foot who died 4th october 1844 aged 70 years much respected by all who knew him    more to follow csc

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:05 GMT (UK) »
continued   no 51  here lies mary graham spouse to william drummond in annan who died june the 30th ?1717 AGED??49 years  stone missing    no 87  in memory of john irving in annan who died 15th july 1844 aged 51 years esteemed as an exemplary christian by all who knew him and melvil drummond his wife who died there 22nd september 1847 aged 61 years much regretted also alexander their son who died at sea on the 13th august 1855 aged 26 years   no 152  in memory of nancy daughter of william rae blacksmith in annan who died 7th may 1850 aged 2 years also philis drummond grandmother of the above who died 1st october 1852 aged 5 years  csc

Offline Oso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Well, csc, I'm sorry to keep thanking you in my responses, but I think you out did yourself here.  In one swoop you have apparently moved my knowledge of my Drummond ancestry back several generations if I'm reading your info right.  For the moment only concentrating on the Williams and Davids, it appears to me that the "tree" might descend, as follows:

-Isabella Drummond, b. 1800, m. Michael McCarron;
-David Drummond, Isabella's father, 1774-1844;
-Wm. Drummond, 1738-1805 m. Mary Creighton, 1750-1829;
-David Drummond (sailmaker), 1709-1749;
-Mary (nee Graham), 1668-1717, wife of an earlier William Drummond.

Of course, I don't have a lot of proof of the above as to who fathered who, etc., but at first glance, that is how it appear to me.  Eaglesfield being there certainly seems to pinpoint that as the same family.  I still wonder why this Drummond group was in Dumfries rather than in Angus or Perth, but I'm very glad to have received your additional info.  I don't know how you got it and if there was any expense involved, please advise and I'll gladly reimburse you.  Thank you, very, very much!!!