Author Topic: Shaw/Byrne, Tullyorior, Co. Down  (Read 23492 times)

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
  • 49¾ carat Diamond from Diamond Digging
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw/Byrne, Tullyorior, Co. Down
« Reply #36 on: Friday 05 March 10 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Mick and Laura

Some more information that I have got from my files.

This is all subject to correction, as it is put together from the many scrap pieces of paper that I have collected over the years.

1) John Shaw Jnr married a Jane Byrne and had the following children – John (d. 1912 aged 59 = DOB +/- 1853) who might have married a Sarah, Catherine (b. 1864), Mary Elizabeth (b. 1866), Hugh (b. 1867) and Mathew (b. 1871)

2) John Shaw Snr (d. aged 82 in 1866 = DOB +/-1784) married Anne Byrne (died 1881 aged 48 = DOB +/- 1833) in February 1858. They had the following children – John (d. 1881 aged 27 = DOB +/- 1858), James (b. 1860), and Thomas (b. 1862) and possibly Matt.

3) Michael (d 1891 at aged 87 = DOB of +/- 1804) married a Rose McMahon (d. 1910 = DOB of +/- 1836). They had the following children – James (d. 1925 aged 72 = DOB +/- 1853), Thomas (d. 1914 aged 51 = DOB +/- 1863), Agnes (d. 1913 aged 45 = DOB +/- 1868) and Roseanne.

I also have records of the following loose Shaw’s:

4) Annie Shaw who died 1880 aged 40 = DOB +/- 1840

5) Edward Shaw who died 1874 aged 73 = DOB +/- 1801

6) William Shaw (d. 1859 aged 50 = DOB +/- 1809) who married Catherine (d. 1853 aged 36 = DOB +/- 1817)

7) John Shaw (b. 1764 d. 1838) married Elizabeth?? (b. 1762 d.1835) and they might have had the following children – James (b. 1796 d. 1825) and john (b. 1805 d. 1826).

8) John Shaw married another Elizabeth (b. 1814 d.1893) and might have had the following children – Alexander (b. 1844 d. 1846), John (b. 1834 d. 1866) Elizabeth (b. 1847 d. 1868) and James (b. 1841 d. 1873)

9) Randal Shaw (b. 1774 d. 1862) married a Jan (b. 1790 d. 1880) and might have had the following children – William (b. 1807 d. 1877) and John (b. 1817 d. 1879)

Comments:

The two Johns and Michael above might be the same people mentioned in the Griffiths Valuation for Garvaghy. Co. Down for 1863-64, as well as the Edward and Annie above.

Laura – on the same the Griffiths Valuation for Garvaghy. Co. Down for 1863-64 there are the following Campbell’s – John, Mary, Patrick and also Terence

Mick from the notes that I sent to you in 4 Parts, the farm assumption seems to be correct as by 1883, 13A was owned by a Felix Burns.
Shaw (born Tullyorior in Co. Down then Australia, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Clark (born Mintlaw / New Pitsligo in Scotland then South Africa)
Taylor / Bruce (born Helenamore / Tyrie / Aberdour in Scotland)
Moody (born Warminster in Wiltshire then South Africa)
Whitehead (born Galton Point / Reigate in Surrey)
Whitfield (born Hull in Yorkshire then Kenya, South Africa and Zimbabwe)
Ellis (born Mafeking in South Africa)
Hanbury-King (born Stockton in Wiltshire then South Africa)

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 08 March 10 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick

Im trying to trace back as far as I can with my ancestors there is a connection with Campbells just not sure yet. Any old photographs of the lane which I refer to as campbells and you say is owned by pyers family would be helpful. Gaz tells me he has a map but I have tried the phoenixpark website but cant seem to get any were. Any info you have would be great.

Thanks
Laura

Laura

Another site that you can "play" with is www.osiemaps.ie and the public viewer as they call it. Look in the section "Historic Map Archive".

On this site you can look up Banbridge and the surrounding area and view historic maps of Tullyorior, which is quite exciting.

Gary

Offline mickwally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 09 April 10 08:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary.
I have went through the research that had given me about the shaw family and it all seems to be correct so you will be glad to hear that as i have doubled checked the most of it with church records. It has been a great help thank you so much.
The only thing that im still confused about is the John Shaw who died in 1912 and was the last owner of the land at shawstown. He was left that by his uncle John Shaw who is connected to your ancestor as this is what his will states. However the John Shaw who died in 1912 his father couldn't also have been called John also because then that would mean there would be two brothers both called John? It's abit hard to understand it all but i'm going to the public record office to see can i find his birth cert. to see who his parents were. If you know anymore about this that would be brilliant but I know you already given me all the info. you have.

Also you see that old map you have does it say shawstown and kearneytown on it? It's just I seen one the other night that gives both areas of Tullyorior.
Mick

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 11 April 10 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there Mick

The difficult part on my research is going back further than the marriage of our John Shaw to Anne Byrne in 1858. I have had little luck in finding out more on John Shaw's family i.e. brothers and sisters as this would answer your question. On the basis that he was 82 when he died, then his DOB would have been around 1784.

When John Shaw Snr died in 1866, his Will mentions a nephew John and a niece Catherine.

Working on your assumption Mick, the John Shaw who died in 1912 was born around 1853 because he was 59 when he passed away. I was told that his father was also a John and mother Jane. The point of conjecture is that the "1912" John was born around 1853 - we have not proved that this John Shaw was the nephew who was left the land by my relative because he would have been only 13 when John Shaw died in 1866!! However there was a John Shaw who proved the Will in Belfast in 1866 together with a Hugh Byrne and a Hugh Hill (Inn Keeper) as they were all Executors. If the young John was left the farm, that might explain the involvement of his father John. Very confusing!!
The other brothers of John Shaw were born after 1866 which explains why they were not mentioned in the Will.
I look forward to learning if you find anything in the certificates.
The map that I do have does mention Shawstown on it by the way as well as Kearnytown. I can copy the section off my map and send it to you via a message if you are interested??

Keep well and happy researching.

Gaz

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 24 April 10 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary.
I have went through the research that had given me about the Shaw family and it all seems to be correct so you will be glad to hear that as i have doubled checked the most of it with church records. It has been a great help thank you so much.
The only thing that I'm still confused about is the John Shaw who died in 1912 and was the last owner of the land at Shawstown. He was left that by his uncle John Shaw who is connected to your ancestor as this is what his will states. However the John Shaw who died in 1912 his father couldn't also have been called John also because then that would mean there would be two brothers both called John? It's a bit hard to understand it all but I'm going to the public record office to see can i find his birth cert. to see who his parents were. If you know anymore about this that would be brilliant but I know you already given me all the info. you have.

Also you see that old map you have does it say Shawstown and Kearneytown on it? It's just I seen one the other night that gives both areas of Tullyorior.
Mick
Mick I have also just found out in the course of my research, a graveyard inscription from the Donaghcloney Cl graveyard in Magherana the following inscription:

Erected by John Shaw in memory of his son, James who departed this life the 2nd of December 1825 aged 29 years. And also John who departed this life the 4th of October 1826 aged 21 years. Elizabeth Shaw departed this life 24th January 1835 aged 73 years. Also her husband John Shaw departed this life 22nd June 1838 aged 74 years. Could they be related?

There is also an inscription from the Ballynahinch graveyard referring to John Shaw's but I am not sure the proximity to Tullyorior here!!

Regards

Gaz

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 24 April 10 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick

I'm trying to trace back as far as I can with my ancestors there is a connection with Campbells just not sure yet.  Any old photographs of the lane which I refer to as campbells and you say is owned by Pyers family would be helpful.  Gaz tells me he has a map but I have tried the phoenixpark website but cant seem to get any were. Any info you have would be great.

Thanks
Laura

Laura – on the Griffiths Valuation for Garvaghy. Co. Down for 1863-64 there are the following Campbell’s – John, Mary, Patrick and also Terence.

Gaz

Offline AussieGaz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 01 August 10 02:24 BST (UK) »
Morning Mick

Been wondering recently how the progress is going on the history book on the Tullyorior area? I would assume slowly, however would be interesting to know if you have had a good response from people interested in contributing to it.

regards

Gaz

Offline mickwally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaz,

It's good to hear from you again I was actually just going to contact you about our new website which I think you might find very interesting its www.annaclonehistory.com. Here you will see Tullyorior new school and the old school both have now closed but the shaws would have went to the old one.
The history book is coming on really well we are within weeks of finishing it and it comes out at the end of August we had 500 copies and most of them are already pre-ordered. There are some great stories about Tullyorior which I never even heard of. I did the article on Shawstown and it turned out great. I checked all the info. you gave me and the most of it is correct. I was wondering though if you could send me that bit you have on Thomas' path to Australia as I was going to do abit on him for the emigation section. I would also loved to have seen a photo of him but you may not have one.

Mick