Author Topic: Ellis - C of I, Co Offaly  (Read 13056 times)

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ellis - C of I, Co Offaly
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 June 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
I dug up some records I had found and put away when I was trying to find Annie Ellis' family.

Griffith's Valuation, King's Co. 1854
Philipstown, Killaderry Parish
Thomas Ellis, Land: 7acres, 21 perches, Lessor: Capt. Ponsonby
Thomas Ellis, House, office, yard, garden, 15 acres from Capt. Ponsonby
(Main St., Philipstown

Raheen, Kilbride parish
Bernard Ellis, House, office, land- 12 acres, 2 rods, 20 perches, Lessor: Ambrose Cox

Spallanstown, Kilbride parish
John Ellis, House and Land, 2 acres 1 rod, 27 perches  Lessor: Earl

Records ordered from Irish Civil Registration findings:

Jan. 23, 1866  DEATH of John Ellis, Mason, age 80, Spallanstown
Cause: chronic disease of lungs, 4 yrs
Mark of: Frances Ellis, present at death

"80" could be an estimated age, but if I had to guess it would seem John was born abt 1787 and he probably would have had children around 1810-1820 when your John's father and my Annie's father probably would have been born.

Aug. 2, 1858 MARRIAGE of John Ellis and Maria Coogan, Tullamore
John Ellis, age: full, widower, Captain, 15th Reg't of Foot, Residence: Tullamore
Father: William Ellis, tradesman
Maria Coogan, Spinster, residence: Tullamore, father: John Coogan, Labourer

May 2, 1850 MARRAIGE of Martha Ellis and Wm Robinson, Philipstown
William Robinson, farmer, Ballyconnell, Co. Westmeath
Martha Ellis, Spinster, Philipstown; Father: William Ellis, Postmaster

King's Co. Ellis B/M/Ds from Civil Registration Indexes:  These records are available from the Ireland Gen. Register Office

Richard Ellis, Death, age 40, Tullamore, 1880  Vol 3 page 459
(Male) Ellis, death, infant, Tullamore, 1883 Vol 3 page 435
Walter Ellis, b. Parsonstown 20 Oct 1873, father: William Ellis
Frederick G. Ellis, b. Kings Co., 8 Jun 1871, parents Chas. Ellis, Sarah Godfrey

Have you found when your John Ellis (b. 1842) died or any of his marriages?
From the Griffith's Valuation records and the death of John Ellis, I was figuring that John was the father of Bernard and George (my 4th great grandfather) Bernard being oldest and being given the family farm (12 acres in Raheen) or quite possibly my George had already died.

I believe the origin of the Ellis name is English and Clara/Tullamore had strong ties with England at this time and many Anglo-Irish families.  My McLains were "Scotch-Irish" Protestants, coming from Edinburgh to Dublin in the late 1780s and my branch ended up in Clara around 1820.

Annie Ellis m. Henry McLain 9/11/1865
children: Henry G. McLain. b 6/29/1866 Clara
              Alice McLain, Feb. 1868 Yonkers, N.Y.
              Camilla McLain, May 1870 Yonkers, N.Y.

Henry McLain died in N.Y. in the early 1870s and Annie remarried a George Beal around 1875, the three children eventually took his surname.  He died 1879 in Philadelphia.
Annie Beal died in Brooklyn N.Y. Dec. 7, 1891, I am descended of her first son Henry G. Beal (McLain).  Nobody in my family had a clue about the name change and it really made a brick wall the first few years of my research.

I hope some of the records help you out, I never looked up any of the Ellis families in the 1901/11 censuses but maybe it will make some sense.  I look forward to trying to find more.

Chris Beal
MacLean; Kildare, Offaly, Dublin, Meath, Westmeath

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Went into some more records for Ellis, something I made a copy of at the NY Public Library a few years ago for my McLains also had this entry.

This is the 1802 Census of Protestants in the Diocese of Meath.  Only 50% of it survives and it was printed in a 1970s issue of "The Irish Ancestor"

Tullamore-Kilbride
ELLIS  John, John age 14, Edward age 13, widow

This states that the father John is widowed and if his eldest son John is 14 it would make his d.o.b. 1786-87 and would be a match for the above 1866 death of John Ellis in Spallanstown.

I think the senior John here is the pregenitor of all the Ellis families in the area

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 June 10 17:41 BST (UK) »
On family search;

Anna Ellis;
b. 11/11/1854, Kilcoursey, Kings County
d. 7/12/1891, Brooklyn N Y
Hus; George T Beale; married, 1875
Her ftr; George Ellis  (b. 1810)

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 August 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
I looked at a lovely book at the NLI recently...a copy of the Parish Register for Ferbane and Tissaran Co. Offaly 1797-1822.  I transcribed as best I could but it is handwritten & difficult to read in parts.

There were a few Ellis mentions:

Marriages
4 Feb 1804 James Ellis and Anne Connor (Ferbane)
20 Feb 1814 Thomas Ellis and Mary Coffey (Ferbane)

Baptisms
4 Jan 1804 Richard Ellis (I think), parents Rich & Eliza
8 Mar 1807 Geo Ellis, parents James & Anne
3 Dec 1809 James Ellis, parents James & Anne
14 Feb 1813 Anne Ellis, parents James & Anne
15 Jan 1815 M- Ellis (daughter), parents Thos. & Mary
24 Dec 1815 Mary Anne Ellis, parents Js(?) & Anne
5 May 1816 Bridget Ellis, parents Thos. & Mary
16 Nov 1817 Maria Ellis, parents Thos. & Mary
6 Jun 1819 Bridget Ellis, parents Thos. & Mary
28 Apr 1821 Catherine Ellis, parents Thos. & Mary

Deaths
7 Jul 1803 Richard Ellis

Persons confirmed at Liss Church on 14th Sepr 1804
[from] Ferbane:
James Ellis
Thos. Ellis

Offline crb83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 00:22 BST (UK) »
Laura, your findings just might be my Ellis family.  The only thing I had about Anne was her exact age from her Brooklyn NY death record and censuses which implied her birth was Nov. 11, 1842 and that her father was "George Ellis, farmer" as per her marriage in 1865.  I assumed she was from Clara or Tullamore but never found any references to George in the area.  All these Ferbane & Gallen-Wheery births have "George Ellis, farmer" as the father.  It shows them there through 1856, I wonder why they're not in Griffiths.

Rootsireland.ie uploaded the offaly records today and I got the following...

FERBANE
William Ellis, bapt 14 Nov 1837 to George Ellis & Ring Alicia (Alicia Ring?)
Maria Ellis, bapt. 29 Jan 1839 "

GALLEN WHEERY
Anne Ellis, bapt. 1 Feb 1841 to "
George Ellis, bapt. 18 Feb 1847 "
Margaret & Richard Ellis, bapt. 1849 "
James bapt 1853 to "
Richard bapt. 13 Oct 1856 to "

I was wondering exactly where Gallen Wheery was and if "Ring Alicia" is correct, but it says that name on every record.  Alicia is not a surname but I found the name Ring to be numerous around Cork, Limerick, and Kilkenny.
Anne Ellis m. Henry McLain and named her first daughter Alice, could this be after her mother? Could this be the connection?  I keep asking myself about the baptism date though, could Anne have been born Nov. 11, 1840 instead of 1842?
The only thing is, if they really were from Clara I'll never know because of the destroyed records.  How would you analyze this one?

Offline lbud

• RootsChat Member
  • What a waist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
There is a good chance that Ring is actually King as it's an easy transcription error to make. 
There was a notable King family in Ballylin, just north of Ferbane at the time.  Have a look at Griffith's.

Gallen is just south of Ferbane.   Look on Google Maps.  They're all very close to each other.

Is there any chance you can look at the microfilms of the original entries?  I think it might clarify the Ring vs King suggestion.  I know I've looked at Ferbane/Wheery registers at the NAI here so I assume they're available in FHCs too.

As for Annie Ellis's age...well such differences occur all the time in my experience.  It could well be your Annie. 

I'll have a think about it & see what else I can come up with.  I'll look at the old Ferbane/Tisaran register & see if there are any Rings or Kings mentioned.  Actually, now that I think of it, the Register was written by the Rev. Henry King who was (I just Googled him :)) related to the Ballylin Kings.  Let me get back  to you with whatever I find.