Author Topic: Catholic church records - Shercock  (Read 3418 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Catholic church records - Shercock
« on: Sunday 24 January 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »

One of my ancestors gives his birth place as Shercock - c 1818 according to age on English census records.

His children were all born in the north east of England and baptised RC so there is a good chance that he was also RC.

Can anyone tell me where the nearest Catholic church would have been and whether their records are available, please?

I would also appreciate any guidance on where to find information on the place itself.

Christine

Offline homeless simpson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Researcher available in Monaghan/Cavan.
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic church records - Shercock
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Not much hope..Full civil registration of Births, Marriages & Deaths only started in Ireland in 1864. Protestant ones 1845. Some RC (very very rare) did keep some sort of notes but legally weren't allowed to. If you have enough details you might get lucky and be able to get deaths in the parish for them.

Googling Shercock should get general info on the place itself!
Available for researching parish records, graveyards etc in Co Monaghan.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Din't give up hope just yet. Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages did start in 1864 (only from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages) but there are some earlier R.C. church records still in existance.

CAVAN RESOURCES has a link for R.C. records-
www.from-ireland.net/cav/cavanrcindex.htm
Luckily Shercock R.C. records look quite good although they don't perhaps go back as far as you'd want-
Killanne (Bailieborough - Bailieboro, Shercock)
Baptisms: Jan 28th, 1835 - Nov 20th, 1849, Jan 13th, 1868 - Nov 19th, 1880
Marriages: Jan 12th, 1835 - Feb 12th, 1850, Jan 28th, 1868 - Sept 22nd, 1880
National Library (Dublin), PRONI (Belfast) and LDS seem to have copies. If there are available elsewhere someone else is bound to post the details here for you.

You might also want to look through the other links on the RESOURCES thread-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,411564.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks both,

I did know about commencement dates for civil registration which is why I've never tried to find my Irish family before (there are more!).  But I came across these ones in 1861 English census and surprisingly the place of birth said more than just the usual 'Ireland'.

I did check out the resources board but couldn't see anything immediately relevant so thought I'd ask in case I was missing something.

There may be a marriage to find in church records as this couple are not on English 1851 census - first child born in England in 1853 but no marriage found there.

I'll keep looking, thanks again

Christine