Author Topic: ANGLO ZULU WAR 11 JAN 1879  (Read 15642 times)

Offline WkdWitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ANGLO ZULU WAR 11 JAN 1879
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Ah Haaa! Thank you very much for clearing that up.   :)

I am still finding my way around here and very wet behind the ears in general.  ;D

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Freddie. No wonder I could not find it in the records of men discharged before 1914 when they have filed it in WW1 papers. They probably kept it to one side due to the 'complications' of him disappearing to Australia rather than continue his service in the Army Reserve. Mind you that is probably why it is as bulky as it is, as most records of 1879-1891 era have been culled down to four enlistment pages.

Regarding your question about service during the Zulu War, if you look at the top of the third page it says he only served in Gibraltar and Malta. Portsmouth had a large RA presence in order to defend the port.

Ken

In case you are wondering a 'life certificate' was a form signed by a person in authority (ie a vicar/priest) to confirm the man was alive. The certificate would have been given to someone picking up his Reservist pay. Reservists earned half-pay (about 7-8d a day for a Bombardier) in exchange for attending two weeks training each year.

Offline WkdWitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much Ken.....I didn't even know there was a third page.  ;D

That's one mistake I won't be making again. I could have saved my self a good few hours if I had just clicked the next button. Never mind, I have had a good look through and found plenty of information. He was quite a scallywag judging by his Army records! As were all the Haywards. Love this side of the family. Hehehe

I will leave the thread to get back on track and see if I can find out what he got up to in Australia (which explains his lack of English records)

Your help is much appreciated.

;)

Actually one last question. I am now on the quest for the records of Christopher Pearcey who served in the 8th Foot Kings 1st Battalion recieving the Indian Mutiny Medal after serving 14 years in India. (I think) Is there a section/thread that might be of help?

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 24 January 13 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello and Welcome to Rootschat WkdWitch

You can start a new thread yourself for Christopher Pearcey.

Click on >>Armed Forces>> above.
Scroll down the page slightly, Then click on NEW TOPIC and away you go.

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WkdWitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 24 January 13 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip Milly, will do.  ;)

Offline LKE9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Dear All.

Please may anyone shed some light on this query.
I am trying to record some physical evidence military records for:

William Chaplin - (b. Ipswich 1859. d. Whitechapel 1889)
His diary (pic attached) records his departure on the SS Dublin Castle from South West India Dock, 26th November 1878, on 27th Nov passing Dover at 06:00.

His son had got this far:

Military Service:
- Medal: South African General Service Medal, for six campaigns from 1877 – 1879
- Natal garrison duty.
- He was a mounted soldier. (Natal Infantry Volunteers, none served in Zululand, only mounted corps.)
- Maritzburg Rifles, were in garrison. (The Natal Royal Regiment, raised in 1867 as the Pietermaritzburg Volunteer Rifle Corps and from 1868 known as the Maritzburg Rifles. In 1887 they amalgamated with the Royal Durban Rifles.)
- Served at Isandlwana. 22nd January 1879.
- Served at Rorke’s Drift. Possibly fought here. 23rd January 1879.
- Unit served likely was within 2 & 3 Columns, the Newcastle Mounted Rifles and the Buffalo Border Guard. Also with these three columns were 3 Battalions, the 1st Regiment Natal Native Contingent, and the 1st and 2nd Battalions 3rd Natal Native Contingent.
- Not served in the Natal Carbineers, roll checked and name not present.
- Not served with one of the Transvaal Vol. Mounted units. Wounded list checked.
- Possibly the Frontier Light Horse, the Imperial Unit, some Natal Corps, Lonsdale’s Horse.

Q's:
- Are there enrollment lists.
- Are there vessel passenger lists.
- Is there a record of soldiers served, volunteer or other.

Thank you.
LK

Offline LKE9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Dear All.

I hope re-posting this - may put it back up the feed and galvanise some interest and assistance.
Any and all is much appreciated.

Thank you.
LK

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi LK and welcome to Rootschat.

I haven't been able to find your William Chaplin in the 1877-79 South Africa medal rolls - have you found him?

Does the diary record his presence at Isandhlwana on 22 January 1879?  As I'm sure you will be aware there were very few survivors.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 November 19 15:51 GMT (UK) »
The Dublin Castle was a mail boat, not a troopship. Contemporary newspaper reports record that she was carrying mail, passengers and war material including 40 tons of ball cartridge.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk