Author Topic: Easy to follow colouring tutorial  (Read 5646 times)

Offline ptdrifter

• RootsChat Senior
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
    • View Profile
Easy to follow colouring tutorial
« on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Nice little tutorial found whilst browsing the interweb
Easy to follow I think

link expired
Stevens, Pye  East London

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Easy to follow colouring tutorial
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Whew! I think I had better leave it up to those who so generously donate their time to fixing my photos. Certainly gives one an appreciation for the work involved! Thanks all!
Louise

Offline rev.ivorbiggin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Its beyond me :o

Ivor
Whitcher,Roalf,Lewis,Phillips,Parry

Offline mystifier

• RootsChat Member
  • Kevin Gallagher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 20:54 GMT (UK) »
If you missed it, you could try my 'everything you need to know in thirty seconds flat' tutorial at http://www.mystifier.co.uk/img/RootsChat.htm

Only for fun but actually practical.

Offline mystifier

• RootsChat Member
  • Kevin Gallagher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Wow! I run many hobby websites but the rootschat mess around (produced using Camtasia) is top of my stats today.

I am pretty new to photoshop; a few weeks ago, I only ever used one layer (not really knowing what they were) and the undo history (a lot!). There are millions of photoshop tutorials on the web but most of them don't tell you much more than appears in the manual. Occasionally though, there is one that is pure gold that changes your thinking.

My biggest interest isn't colouring, it is sharpening/unblurring so one example for me was:
www.ophrysphotography.co.uk/pages/advancedsharpening.htm
Lots of other cool stuff on the site too.

Some results can be seen at
www.burton-on-trent.org.uk/?p=125
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433002.0.html

The main difference not mentioned is that I now always work at EXACTLY twice the finished size then reduce it back.

I am currently working through an amazing eBook on curves which opens up a whole new area. I have had Photoshop for a while but am only just discovering what I actually bought!

Offline en2gen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing your information. I, too, have had Photoshop for years with no real training and no understanding of layers and all the capability of the program. Wanted to take a class this month, but there is a waiting list...and it's only a few hours so how much can they teach, eh?

I appreciate people willing to share what they know...and really appreciate those who give of their time to do work for others. I'm addicted now to getting some of my not so good, but precious photos restored by their hands. Maybe, one day, I can do it myself...and help others as well.

Thanks all,
Louise
California

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 10 08:25 GMT (UK) »
There are loads of photoshop tutorials on the web but most of them don't tell you much more than appears in the manual.

That is because every photo is unique, you can read through manuals, and watch tutorials but it still comes down to practice, which takes time.
Photoshop is a powerful application. Restoring a photo only uses a small percentage of what it can really do and can be daunting. 
I would suggest to anyone who wishes to learn, take it step by step and just learn one technique at a time and one tool! Eventually it will all come together.

Ask anyone who restores and colours, they will tell you the same, master the basics first before moving on to the more envolved techniques like colouring and other manipulations.  If you don't, your results will never be satisfactory.

Utube has some great tutorials but again, you need to learn the basics and know the tools first before watching otherwise it will all seem like double dutch.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 10 08:32 GMT (UK) »
PT drifter,
I agree, its a good tutorial,  covers the basics of tinting....
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.