Author Topic: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?  (Read 15334 times)

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?
« on: Monday 25 January 10 06:44 GMT (UK) »
My new Dell Studio XPS 16[ 4GB Ram; 500GB HD] has Win7 preinstalled. From my terminally ill Win XP pc  I've transfered my data  satisfactorily and installed FTM2010 because FTM2006 is not Win7 compatible.
However Win7 has not much appeal to me & as well as this, there are  2 specific reasons I want to go back to WinXP:- I could use my FTM2006 which is far better than FTM2010  [FTM  2010 is a lemon]  and also I could continue using Outlook Express where all my family history emails are categorized . FYI Win 7 has no email program as part of it.

In trying to do this would I be asking for trouble?  I'm not a techie.  If it's feasible, how would I go about this please?

From my old pc I have various  CDs including:- ... Reinstallation Microsoft WindowsXP Home Edition including Service Pack 1a, Win XP Service Pack 2,  Dell Dimension Resource CD-Drivers,Diagnostics, Computer Documentation.

Comments, guidance, help very much appreciated ;D
Thank you,
charlotte

Offline Guy Etchells

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 10 07:39 GMT (UK) »
My new Dell Studio XPS 16[ 4GB Ram; 500GB HD] has Win7 preinstalled. From my terminally ill Win XP pc  I've transfered my data  satisfactorily and installed FTM2010 because FTM2006 is not Win7 compatible.
However Win7 has not much appeal to me & as well as this, there are  2 specific reasons I want to go back to WinXP:- I could use my FTM2006 which is far better than FTM2010  [FTM  2010 is a lemon]  and also I could continue using Outlook Express where all my family history emails are categorized . FYI Win 7 has no email program as part of it.

In trying to do this would I be asking for trouble?  I'm not a techie.  If it's feasible, how would I go about this please?

From my old pc I have various  CDs including:- ... Reinstallation Microsoft WindowsXP Home Edition including Service Pack 1a, Win XP Service Pack 2,  Dell Dimension Resource CD-Drivers,Diagnostics, Computer Documentation.

Comments, guidance, help very much appreciated ;D
Thank you,
charlotte

You may find you have problems installing XP.
First could be with XP itself, if the "reinstallation" disk is one which came with your previous computer it is possible it is not compatible with the new computer.
These OEM programs are often tailored for specific hardware.

If it is simply a Microsoft Windows XP operating system then it should install.

There may be problems with drivers not being available for XP. If the new motherboard has new display and/or sound circuits built in these may have to be disabled and a display card and/or a sound card added.

You may find it is easier to simply install Outlook Express or better still Thunderbird (less venerable to attack) for your email.
Have you tried running Windows 7 in compatibility mode, then installing FTM 2006?
Have you tried changing the display to a classic look?
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 10 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlotte,

I wouldn't even be considering it.

Give Window 7 a chance, it really is excellent. 

I have no doubt that it would also negate your Dell warranty.

I have used Incredimail for many years. It's free and easy to use. www.incredimail.com

Jamjar

P.S. Discs are machine and model specific. PC and notebooks are very different systems, so you wouldn't use PC discs on a notebook.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Christine in Portugal

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandparents, Ernest & Emily Walker 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
FTM 2006 will work on the 32 bit Windows 7.

You have to download the same patch that was brought out for Vista.

Christine
Mallinson- Lepton, Huddersfield
Walker, Smith, Slater, Blacker - Farnley Tyas, Huddersfield
Claybourne/Clayburn - Norton Doncaster
Birkenshaw/Birkinshaw - Doncaster
Hall - Skelbrooke, Doncaster
Bisby - Campsall, Doncaster
Hemsworth - Doncaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 January 10 08:29 GMT (UK) »

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 January 10 08:57 GMT (UK) »
OEM versions of Windows (these are versions that come with computers, and which are on CD's bearing the computer manufacturer's name) are not transferrable to other machines.  Even if you managed to get Windows XP installed on the new computer, you would probably not be able to register it. 

If you are looking for backwards compatability on a new PC, it's important that you choose a version of Windows 7 that has XP Compatability mode and those are the Professional and Ultimate Editions.  You may be able to get a Microsoft upgrade to these.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

Christine, I'm running a 64 bit Win7 so your idea deoesn't seem to be appliable :(

Jamjar... Thanks for the links to the win mail but one of my very significant reasons is that in OE I have 15 yrs of family history emails with NB info filed there in Inbox folders.

Guy, Thank you for the explanations as to why my idea is no good-it's a help to understand the reasons. may I ask two questins please?  
Can you  tell me how to run Win7 in compatability mode? Where do I find this?  If I do this can I then just install FTM2006 from the CD?

Second, how do I change the display to a classic look please?

Thank you again for your help.

charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Nick29, Thanks for your help.

Home Premium [64 bit] is the version on my laptop... so it looks as if finding a way to use FTM2006 is not a goer.

I'll look on the web and see if there is an upgrade offered by Microsoft.

Thanks,

a miserable charlotte