Author Topic: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?  (Read 15331 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 January 10 13:12 GMT (UK) »
There is a very true saying taught to all salespeople "Bull**** baffles brains!". The reason I shall change is that like me my laptop is getting old, and increasingly obsolesent.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 January 10 08:34 GMT (UK) »
When you copy files from the old machine you didn't actually copy programs. Remember when we said that all programs would have to be re-installed. Think of it in the same way as with not being able to open your outlook files. You have the copied files, but you don't have the program to open the emails. This is the same case with your family tree program.

Once you install the program you can open the file.

I don't believe you can install .dll's and it wouldn't make a difference without the program anyhow.

Hope that all makes some sense, Charlotte.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 January 10 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi XIN,

I had to laugh  ;D ;D at the reason you were given:

the reason I was given is down to money  as I use Virgin   they want us to access theit site for mail and they are not compatible with win 7 outlook express.

I am connected to Telstra ADSL and I use Incredimail as my main email account. I also use the following: Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo accounts. My main browser is Firefox and I use IE8 and Safari. This is all on my one computer. Oh, I also have Vodafone mobile Internet.

So, if your adivsor's theory is correct, then who's making money out of me?

I used Outlook Express and Outlook what seems like decades ago and can't see me ever needing to use it again. I just recalled why I used Outlook, I think. I was living in Qatar and need to send a fax. I think I did so via Outlook.

If you want something easy, that is not unlike OE, then try Incredimail. It is free and if you don't like it, you can uninstall it.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 January 10 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I know   ;D  its surprising how easily an old lady can be conned ::) by a sweet looking young mail!!!

I will have a look at incredimail....sounds interesting-

Beginning to consider overwriting win 7 with XP on my flashy new super graphic machine...

dont know if thats poss though...

xin

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 January 10 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Where have I heard this before?  ;)

Don't do it.  :o

Take time to explore and to get used to it. My class of 7 year olds went from XP to W7 without a blink.

Hardware like your 'super graphics' card most likely won't be compatible with XP.

Should you be tempted, check to see if it will negate your warranty if you do so.

Jamjar

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 January 10 10:18 GMT (UK) »
I understand what you are saying.. and I do want to  move forward.. so I will give it time..   oh for the mind of a youngster again..

xin

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 30 January 10 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Xin,

Yes, I'm in my 50s and the students are much sharper than me when it comes to computers.

I think it's because we look at new things and instantly start comparing that which is new with what we already know and prefer. Children don't do this. They just take what they know and apply it to the new situation, without really realising that it is all different.

I think too that as we get older we approach things with the negative, as we believe that we are too old to learn. Not true, we're never to old to learn.

The fact that we are here asking for advice, shows that deep down we do want to conquer these machines and we more often than not do so. So, just ease into it, play and explore. I really do belive that Window 7 is the best and easiest to use of all the Windows operating systems thus far.

And don't you love the dove and branch? A peace offering, maybe  ;D

Jamjar

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 30 January 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
After just tackling 'Asda' and all its special offers   I am sure I will get there...with Win 7

Thanks for your understanding and help

Xin

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 30 January 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
The secret is in using the machine the way you want to work - not by allowing the system to dictate to you how you should work.