Author Topic: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?  (Read 15327 times)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Installing WinXP on new Win7 laptop?
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 30 January 10 22:20 GMT (UK) »

Falkryn,
Thank you for your reply and help.  I've tried to install the Family Treemaker 2006 CD as you said but the message comes back that there are drivers missing and there is no solution offered by Microsoft or FTM.

Then I tried to open an earlier FTM version that was moved from my old pc to the Win7 laptop in the transfer of data.  A message comes up saying "Program can't start because LTKRNION.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the progam to fix the problem".

Only problem with this is, even if I had  that .dll,  that I have given away the CD for the earlier version.    Can I download from the net the above .dll and if so woud that tart  the earlier version that seems to have been transfered?  Where would I downlod the .dll to- which folder etc?

If you are able to help me here I'd be most grateful. 

charlotte

Sorry, I missed your post amongst the others.

I find it strange that the set up is reporting drivers missing - that sounds as if the set up program is not running properly.

I've not come across that particular dll file before but strangely if you do a search for it the most common area is to do with the installation of hardware especially scanners.

Unfortunately long distance problem solving is fraught with difficulties - one possibility is to copy everything from your CD to a new folder and try running the set up program from within that folder. Just rememeber that before you run the program right click on it and set the administrator rights and compatibility mode.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 31 January 10 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Falkryn,

Thank you for your reply.  I attempted to do as you suggested but it's a bit beyond my skill.

If the FTM program 2006 is incompatible with Win7Home Premium, will it also be incompatible with Win7 PRO?

If the answer to that is that PRO version will run earlier FTM versions, could I buy & install WIN7 PRO over Win7 Home premium?

Advice  on this will be much appreciated.
Thank you,

charlotte

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 31 January 10 07:27 GMT (UK) »
                                        HURRAH>>>>HURRAH

Somehow I've managed to open FTM2006 on this laptop... not sure how the miracle occurred but it has ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I ran it as administrator as Falkryn advise and went thru the compatibilty stuff with it telling me it wasn't compat. and then it worked ::) 8)
All the data appears to be there as well asthe program's wonderful uncluttered functionality.

Just hope I can keep opening it thus- at the momrent I've minimized it to the bottom bar for easy access.

Thank you for your patience and help- now to see if Ican do likewise with getting OE working here.
charlotte

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 31 January 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately Outlook Express won't work with Windows 7 - it was replaced with Windows Livemail which can be downloaded for free from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56883de5-2024-4631-806e-757693072a1c&displaylang=en

Although any other email program can be used e.g. Thunderbird

http://en-gb.www.mozillamessaging.com/en-GB/thunderbird/

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 01 February 10 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Falkryn,  Thank you again for that  advice.
I downloaded Thunderbird and it has  installed my OE folders with all my FH info emails which is wonderful.  Still working on the address book but I'm getting there.

Thank you again,

charlotte

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all  :)

I'm glad that Charlotte has got everything running and seems happy with Win7 now  :)

Had mine for 36 hours now and apart from it going faster (maybe the i7 chip) and a few bits and bobs, I've not noticed much difference from XP Pro (I managed to avoid Vista  :D  )

I've loaded most of the programs that I need (not FH4, Falkyrn, cos that's on my other machine) and only one prog gave a warning and then Windows said that it had run compatibility and it worked fine  :)

Gadget

(The main problem is this darn keyboard on the Studio 17 laptop - it's a full sized keyboard but is shifted slightly to the left compared with my old laptop and nearly everytime I press the left shift key, I hit the \ key instead - \\\ooooooooooo well  ;D  \\\\\\\\\\\\\)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline geniecolgan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Falkryn,  Thank you again for that  advice.
I downloaded Thunderbird and it has  installed my OE folders with all my FH info emails which is wonderful.  Still working on the address book but I'm getting there.

Thank you again,

charlotte

Pheww! I'm so pleased for you Charlotte :D
I hated to think of you loosing all that correspondence.

Does anyone know if/how PAF 5.2 runs in Win 7 yet ?
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
PAF 5  No problems with it and win 7 ... so far..

xin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Saved me a job there, xin. I was just about to downloaded it to try out for Genie  :)

All my graphics progs have loaded fine - even a very elderly AnimationPro that I use for the gif files  :)

Gadget

Just remembered that I have to do Adobe Acrobat - the list is endless  ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***