Author Topic: Wedding photos general query  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Silverlamp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wedding photos general query
« on: Monday 25 January 10 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Please excuse my ignorance, and I hope this is the correct forum, but I was wondering if anyone knows when the tradition of having a photographer at a wedding, and having a wedding album,  started? Was it different for the different stratas of society?

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding photos general query
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I can't say as a general principle, but my lot seem to have had separate studio portraits of the bride & groom done in the 1890s and early 1900s, studio portraits of the bride & groom together during WWI and wedding photographs at the church from the 1920s on.  I don't think anyone in the family had wedding albums until the 1960s.  Other families may have been different.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline Silverlamp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 10 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Robbo. Your experience fits with what I've been able to find in my family so far.
Simon

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 March 10 13:47 GMT (UK) »
A lot depended on the family.  My great aunt had photos taken at her marriage (1917) and some studio portraits done at the time.  But her sister who married in 1924 had no photographers.

Another thing is that some photographers had the tradition when taking photos (think some still do it) of the brides parents on the grooms side & vice versa when just those 6 people in the photo.  Do not know why?
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)