Author Topic: Stokes's Barton, Bedminster...any information?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stokes's Barton, Bedminster...any information?
« on: Monday 25 January 10 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Just got the birth certificate, of my ancestor. He was born in Stokes's Barton, Bedminster.
Would anyone know anything about this area? What is Stokes's Barton ?
Any information would be helpful.
kind regards
Hobby horse

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Stokes's Barton, Bedminster...any information?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 January 10 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It seems Stokes Barton was a lane/court off East Street, judging by the Census enumeration schedule for 1851, possibly towards Redcliffe  & Bedminster Bridge. Its difficult to know what the particular place was like, but Bedminster in general was an industrial working class area in the later nineteenth & twentieth centuries, dominated by coal mining & the tobacco industry

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline BedminsterPeople

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 10 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Apparently, lots of the old cottages in the lanes and courts around East St had to be pulled down because of the flooding from the River Malago and the unsanitary conditions, including problems with cholera. There are some photos that might interest you in the photo galleries on Bedminster People (www.bedminsterpeople.co.uk), including some pictures of the old cottages (eg Bright Bow cottages) and streets in the area around East St. Some of the site members’ families have lived in the area for generations so it's possible they might have some useful info for you.
In particular, have a look at the photo gallery called ‘Old Bedminster Places’ and the discussion in the Bedminster History Group called ‘Interested in Bedminster history?..

Offline hobbyhorse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for the information. My ancestor was born there in 1851. his father was a coal miner, so I presume it was a large mining area. By 1861, they are in London. Stokes's Barton is an unusual name, it would be nice to find out what it was like!
kind regards and thanks for the information
Hobby horse

Offline LindaJane79

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’ve found my husband’s ancestor living in Stokes Barton in 1891. On the census it appears between Cannon Street and Paradise gardens. I can’t seem to find it on any map, but you can see the general location. I use the free maps from the library of Scotland. There are drop down boxes to view the old maps against current Google maps. I’ve found it excellent for finding old places in my searches.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 March 22 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking at my trusty "Street Names of Bristol", there is no mention of Stokes Barton.
However, looking at other streets called Barton, the word Barton means Farm. Possibly farm land connected to Bristol Castle.

Stoke means "dependent farmstead" and is used a lot in the area.
Stokes (as in Stokes Croft) usually refers to John Stoke, 3 times Mayor of Bristol (1364, 1366, 1379). He lived on Redcliff Street.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Brizzlered

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 March 22 12:08 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandad on the 1911 census was living at Percy street Bedminster and on the 1921 census at Victoria Square in Bedminster/Redcliffe. If you Google these streets now they don't seem to exist anymore. I'm guessing maybe heavily bombed during the war or demolished.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 March 22 17:45 GMT (UK) »
For streets in Bristol and surrounding areas, try Know Your Place: https://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=

Right hand map is today, left hand map (comparison map) can be changed, and the dividing line can be moved.
Click on the magnifying glass (top left) to enter an address.

Click on Basemaps (right-hand side) to change either map.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jeremy67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 17:37 GMT (UK) »
My ggg grandfather was living in Stokes Barton in 1838 at the time of his marriage.

After lots of searching I found where the street is. On Bristol Know Your Place it is only marked on one map. Go to 1879-1888 Town Plans (limited coverage) and play around with the zoom in and out control, as this map only seems to appear at certain magnifications. Stokes Barton is on the north side of East Street, opposite the north end of Church Lane (not Church Road). It seems that Stokes Barton became the south end of Warden Road when Paradise Gardens was built over.