Author Topic: Lost FORREST  (Read 10219 times)

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost FORREST
« on: Monday 28 April 08 16:14 BST (UK) »
Lost Forrest should read Lost Alchemyst!! as I have no idea how to go about finding William Forrest of County Cork (where in County Cork I don't know).  The information I have is that he married Margaret Russell about 1894 and they had 5 children:  Andrew Joseph, Honorah (Nora) not sure of spelling, Mary, Robert and Bridget Mary.  I think William died between 1900 & 1909 as Margaret & children came to Australia in 1909 and Margaret married again some years later.  Margaret (nee Russell) had 2 sisters that I know of Mary Ann and Bridget both of whom were Presentation Sisters who came to Australia at different times - Bridget left the community and later married.  It is William Forrest I am looking for and what part of County Cork he came from.
Perhaps I can't see the Forrest for the trees!!  (Bad joke - I couldn't help myself!)  I would be most grateful for any help.
Many thanks,
Alchemyst

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lost FORREST
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 April 08 16:51 BST (UK) »
if you look on familysearch.org there are eight Wm. forrest births for cork. do you know either of his parents names.

regards Mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,
Thanks for your reply.  No I don't know the names of either of William's parents which is half the problem.  I have actually now managed to work out (with some help) that the family is NOT from the North/East of Cork.  Just to make it more difficult!! as there doesn't seem to be the same amount of information available in the South.   So it's back to the drawing board and maps etc of County Cork! 
Thanks again.
Regards,
Alchemyst

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 12:25 BST (UK) »
Quick question?

Is it possible the name of birth parents of the sister who got married may be listed on the marriage and/or death certificate?

Have you tried the Presentation Sisters?  Their Mother House should have a record of each person who entered as well as the names of parents, etc.   They should also have a record of where each person was posted.

Crabby
Downing/Hurley/Lane/Quinlan  Cork
Hopkins/Devaney/McWalter/Qualter/Lyons  Galway
Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Mulcahey/Mulcahy Roscommon
Reilly/Riley Sligo

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 April 08 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Crabby,
There are Presentation Sisters on both sides RUSSELL & FORREST on the Russell side two entered in Ireland and came to Australia - one of them left the community and married some years later. On the FORREST side was my grandmother's sister Bridget/Brigid who entered the Presentation Convent in Australia and I know her parents are William Forrest and Margaret (Russell) from County Cork - have already tried the Presentation Convent some time ago.  Death certificates will give the same info - not WHERE in County Cork or dates of birth for parents.  As my grandmother never spoke much of her early years in Ireland other than she was born in County Cork my sisters and I were just trying to find a little information on those early days and her parents especially as my father has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  His first name comes from his mother's maiden name and his middle name comes from his father's first name - Forrest Edgar.  The search was an idea to perhaps "brighten" things up a bit and if nothing else we did at least find out when my grandmother came to Australia and the name of the ship.
Thanks for your input.
Best wishes,
Alchemyst

Offline bella2007

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 02:45 BST (UK) »
My name is Wendy Sharron Josephine (Hurst) Mears from Perth Western Australia, Australia.  I am the daughter of A Hurst & J Hurst the fifth child of 11 children born to Hanora Patricia (Forrest) McDonald & Thomas Hubert McDonald.

I am responding to "Lost Forrest" Cork City, Ireland.  My grandmother was Hanora (Nora) Patricia (Forrest) McDonald Born December 1896 Died September 1977.  She was 15 years old when the family arrived from Cork City.  Her father was William Forrest. 

The family migrated to Australia where they had relatives at 'Iona' Presentation Convent, Mosman Park WA. Aust.  I believe Margaret Russell had a sister (Lielia) a nun called Mother Lielia) at Iona they looked after them until they were settled.  The nuns at Iona educated the children.

I learnt that my great grandmother Margaret Russell remarried and had a daughter Connie who I met just once.

FAMILY FROM CORK CITY ARRIVED AUSTRALIA APPROX 1911
Margaret (Russell) Forrest
Grandmother Russell (mother to Margaret)
Hanora Patricia (Forrest) McDonald
Massie (Forrest) Morrow (not aware that she entered the convent)
Bridget Forrest (joined the Presentation / religious name Mother Assumpta)
Andrew Forrest
Robert Forrest (killed in France WW1 aged about 18 yrs old)

My mother Joan Hanora (McDonald) Hurst died on 13 June 2009. We have some history recorded which we can share.

I have a sister (*) and a brother (*)

We would be very interested to hear from any members of my grandmothers family. (*)

Wendy Mears

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 03:24 BST (UK) »
What a wonderful surprise!! 
I will email you when I have recovered from the shock and get my brain to work again.
Till then - thanks,

Alchemyst

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 08:36 BST (UK) »
found a possible match for the marriage of William and Margaret on the Civil index :

Name: William Forrest
 Registration district: Cork
 Record type: Marriage
 qtr/year: Jul - Sep 1894
 volume: 5 / Page: 100

Name: Margaret Russell
 [same index details]

you can order a marriage cert from the GRO (www.groireland.ie) using these details which would give you a location, father's names, occupations etc

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alchemyst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 09:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Shane.  My greatest difficulty has been trying to find a date of death for William which I know is somewhere between 1901 and 1909.
Margaret & children left Ireland in 1909.  Do you have any ideas? Because it seems the harder I look the more elusive he becomes!

Alchemyst