Author Topic: Grandad's Bullets  (Read 3193 times)

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: Grandad's Bullets
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 January 10 13:46 GMT (UK) »
In my early teens ( a loooong time ago) I wrote to my local TA barracks as I wanted to know about the local war memorial. I happened to mention that I was really interested in WW2 and weapons etc. I received a package back with a letter saying that, unfortunately, they didn't have info on the memorial but in recompense please find enclosed some goodies. These goodies turned out to be about a dozen cartridges of various cailbres, from .22 to .303 and even a .5.

What I thought were just cartridges with crimped tops turned out to proper blanks!! A fact that I only discovered when a friend decided through one on a fire, there was a loud bang and piece of metal the size of a ball bearing embedded itself into the door frame I was leaning against. To say that I nearly c*****d myself would be understatement.

Moral of the story? (A) Never ever do anything stupid with ordance, even when one thinks they are inert, and (B) back then even the military weren't so constrained by H&S!

K

Offline Borley Manor

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    One would presume that the centre round in the picture has its end pushed into the case a bit, this would assure most people that the rounds charge has been removed and the end refitted. Several old 303 rounds in a clip wash up from time to time from a purposely sunken wreck near here, it is a simple matter to remove the end from the case and pour out the charge, but, even so, after salt water immersion for over 60 odd years, the charge still ignites like it was fresh, so be careful, one can never presume anything in ordnance. A very satisfactory 'whumpf' can be gleaned from a heap of cordite, but, contain it in a case, and anything can get hit by the missile for approx a mile....
  :o :o
Seward (Linc'shire) (W. London)
Stainer  (Dorset)
Harker  (Cumbria)

Offline teulu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 01 February 10 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Bore da pawb !

What have I learnt ? They could be Italian and they could be Drill rounds. I've also learnt that you all know some scary munitions stories !

Rest assured Grandad's bullets have been in the family since WW1. I personally have had them 30 years and they are kept high up on a shelf out of view. Apart from the odd polish (you're going to warn me about that now arent you !) they'll stay there. They are my connection to a man I never knew and will not be ending up in a riparian grave any time soon...

They are important to me as I know little of his service and there are so many medal cards with his name on !

Regards one and all

teulu

LANSLEY / LANCELEY : Wiltshire, Hampshire
MORAN : Meath, Louth
O'ROURKE : Dublin, Leitrim
BOOTHBY / GABRIEL / INCARNATION : London
WEAVER : Montgomeryshire
RIVERS : Oxon / Berks

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 February 10 13:12 GMT (UK) »
da bnawn teulu,

I would do the same myself but I would how ever have these deactivated by someone.
Obviously, you know the problem with them and if you suddenly popped your clogs, others may not and cause themselves serious injury or death.
Besides the legal implications of keeping such munitions, I wonder if they become more dangerous with age, perhaps Scrimnet can answer that.
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 February 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
da bnawn teulu,

I would do the same myself but I would how ever have these deactivated by someone.
Obviously, you know the problem with them and if you suddenly popped your clogs, others may not and cause themselves serious injury or death.
Besides the legal implications of keeping such munitions, I wonder if they become more dangerous with age, perhaps Scrimnet can answer that.

There is no problem with them...They have been fired, and are as such deactivated...The heads have been replaced...Drill rounds are as such unfireable.

There is no cordite or gunpowder in them at all...

They are safe, legal and quite quite OK

Dependant upon where they have been stored old ammo does deteriorate... That being said I have fired original WW1 and WW2 ammo that has been stored correctly
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.