Author Topic: John Newill  (Read 14231 times)

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Newill
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 April 15 19:29 BST (UK) »
In the 1840 Census, he, Elizabeth, two of their daughters, Sarah and Martha, and John Beattie are living with them in Severn St., Pool (Welshpool).  John says he's a retired overseer.

Actually, this is a bit complicated, because I've only discovered this in the last couple of weeks - if you give me your email address, I can email-invite you to my Ancestry website, which is free as a guest.

Best regards Melissa (formerly Newell Bailey)
Newel/Newell/Newall
Hanlon of Tralee & Birmingham
Halford of Halford, Tredington & Alscott
Venour of Warwickshire
Fountain(e) of Cranfield, Bedfordshire
Brindley of Lapley area, Staffordshire
Bailey of Birmingham
Jenkinson of Norfolk or Suffolk

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 April 15 13:28 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to read the data they have online?  I can't seem to find out how to do so!
Newel/Newell/Newall
Venour of Warwickshire
Bailey of Birmingham

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 April 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
During 1727-Bapt, 47; Sepult., 63; Nupt., 2.  Evidently the town [Welshpool] was visited by an epidemic.  The insanitary state of the town and the ignorance of the very rudiments of sanitation accounts for the large death rate, and the infant mortality is appalling; in those days it was a case of the survival of the fittest. Sara Newel, Vidua, de Pola, Sepult. 111110 May, 1728. Widow of William Newell, Sen., of Welshpool, tobacconist and malster, who died in 1726, and mother of William, Joseph, Thomas, Edward and Robert Newell or Newill, of Welshpool, Shrewsbury and Dolgelley. They were hereditary burgesses of Shrewsbury, and descended from Richard Newell of Worthen, time of Henry VIII.  Mrs. Sarah Newell, in her Will, dated May 7th, 1728 (the day previous to her death), bequeaths various houses in Welshpool to her sons, the Pack Horse and houses in Mount Street being included.  This Will is now in the possession of the Rev. J. Gilbertson- Pritchard of Morben and Lytham, who is also a descendant, through his great grandmother, Sarah Newell (who married David Pritchard in 1793), of William and Sarah Newell of Welshpool. There is a large stone over No. 4, Broad Street, inscribed- N. W. S. i.e., W. and S. Newell, 1721.
Newel/Newell/Newall
Venour of Warwickshire
Bailey of Birmingham

Offline fishergate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 April 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies. John Newill was a tailor on his marriage bond in the Welsh Library and later overseer for the poor who would also supervise settlement of newcomers into the Parish. He is my gt gt gt grandfather through William Beattie and Elizabeth Newill. We are interested in tracing John Newill back as he says he wasn't born in the County in 1841; There is a similar blockage with William Beattie who was born in Dumfries (shire)1796/7 and was a travelling teadealer, who seems to have 'linked up' with Elizabeth Newill on his travels and was  married hurriedly by licence at Meols Brace in 1824. He later farmed at Red Bank and had the vote in 1860.We have traced back Elizabeth Hekin John's wife but her mother Jane Owen's roots are difficult to trace. We have a good tree for the Hekin;ekin .Eakin, Ikin Family in Shropshire.
Regards
Fishergate

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 April 15 23:40 BST (UK) »
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 April 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry, should have said, Elizabeth Newell Beattie's birth record:
Name:     Elizabeth John
Birth Date:   30 May 1798
Baptism Date:   30 May 1798
Baptism Place:   Welshpool,Montgomery,Wales
Father:   John Newell
Mother:   Elizabeth Hekin
FHL Film Number:   104826
Was she really baptized Elizabeth John?  Note that John's surname is spelt Newell - I'm sure you've seen Newall and Nule too.
Newel/Newell/Newall
Venour of Warwickshire
Bailey of Birmingham

Offline fountaintower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 April 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
I think this is the most likely Jane Owen, as Westbury is about 3 miles from Worthen:

Text:   11 Jun 1753 Jane, d. of Jane Owen.
Book:   Baptisms. (Baptism)
Collection:   Shropshire: Westbury - Parish Registers, Hereford Diocese

Having said that, a Jane Heykin died in Welshpool in 1836, born in 1748, and there are a few Jane Owens born in Montgomeryshire in or near that year.  She may be one of those, as Worthen is only about 5 miles from Welshpool - I'll try Banns.
Newel/Newell/Newall
Venour of Warwickshire
Bailey of Birmingham

Offline fishergate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 April 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you. The difficulty with Jane Owen is proving it's the correct baptism. The record does not say illegitimate so maybe her mother was a widow. We have tried looking for links with Owens further forward. In fact John and Elizabeth Newill are buried in a vaulted tomb which includes a top stone naming a Thomas Owen. ... but the M I compilers questioned whether this stone belonged to the Newill tomb.
Thank you for all your searches. We have searched through some of the Volumes in the library collected by Mary Newill OWEN ( I have a letter written by her to my grandmother) But she doesn't seem to trace the ancestry further back than John Newill 1771.
Fishergate