Author Topic: Aaron Maddocks, b.1854 Flintshire  (Read 10405 times)

Offline sofrey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aaron Maddocks, b.1854 Flintshire
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unable to give email address as I believe I need to have made 3 posts  in order to make a personal message.  Will try and resolve this a.s.a.p., going away soon for a few days.
Aaron Maddocks had 10 children with Catherine Millington, one of which (Selena) was my grandmother.  Have been trying to find out if their house in Cerney Moss still exists, I believe it was across from the Brake Chapel and they ran it as a shop.  Would also appreciate any information about either side of the family.

S

Offline Wycherley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 November 10 14:10 GMT (UK) »
New to this so bear with me. My grandfather was Walter Maddocks. His father was Aaron Maddocks. Aaron had a daughter Selina. My mother Ethel (Walter's daughter) remembers Selina well - she called her Auntie Lena. My mother still lives very near to the shop referred to opposite the Brake chapel. The house is long since gone as now, sadly, is the Brake Chapel itself which was demolished in 2009. My mother recalls that Aaron could not write and when asked his name would say "Aaron...thats big A little A, R.O.N.!" I found Aarons grave in St Pauls churchyard Pentre Broughton where he is buried with Catherine. On the grave it also stated that they had a son Sam who fell in France. I have been to Sam's grave. He was killed in WW1 and is buried at Baupamme military cemetary, near Albert. Hope that helps. My mother is 77 now but still has a great memory so if anyone needs help, please let me know!

Offline Wycherley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 November 10 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Just incase you do not know, this line of the Maddocks family hail from the village of Moss near Wrexham. The villages of Moss and Pentre Broughton run into each other. Locally Pentre Broughton is often just known as Broughton. It could well be that in looking at Broughton in Flintshire, you should be looking at Pentre Broughton....

Offline Wycherley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 November 10 14:48 GMT (UK) »
From my research I am pretty sure that Catherines parents were Peter Millington 8.11.1835 - 26/2/1919 and Martha Davies b.1837 - 14/11/1904. Peter was from Ewloe

Offline sofrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 November 10 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Auntie Lena you refer to was my grandmother.  Two of her children are still alive and live a few minutes from me,  Peggy is 85 and Jack is 92 next month.  I have a photo of Sam who was killed in action and if you would like me to email it, please let me know your email address. 

Sofrey

Offline Wycherley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 21 November 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My Mother recalls going to see Lena in Runcorn, then on a number of occasions to Preston. She recalls Lena's daughters as Peggy, Connie and Renee. She asked me to ask you who your mum is/was, and what area you now live in.

I have a photo of Sam thank you, and many others of the family as Mum only recently moved from the house she had lived in since 1945 and she hoarded photos etc. I also have a photo of his grave in France if you would like...I was there 3 years ago.

The information you gave on Catherine Maddocks was a huge help as I was really struggling to find out anything about her, so thank you.

If there is anything you would like from this side, let me know 

Offline BrianM64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 28 November 10 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,  thought you'd like to know about a facebook group called "Descendants of Aaron Maddocks (1853)".  It's for anyone who is related in some way to Aaron to pool their fact, documents, stories, family knowlege, photos, etc with other members of Aaron's family, and can be found at:
 http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=127936327267428

Take care and hope to see you at the group.
xx
Maddocks, Wrexham; Hardacre, Liverpool; Edwards; Griffiths; Airth; Pridden;