Author Topic: 1831 Marriage James MELVEN to Ann FLEMING  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1831 Marriage James MELVEN to Ann FLEMING
« on: Thursday 28 January 10 03:27 GMT (UK) »

An IGI marriage search loacted James MELVEN m. Ann FLEMING 7/7/1831 St.Nicholas, Aberdeen.

Is there any where I can get further details of that wedding to establish if its the wedding I'm after eg: ages, occupation?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1831 Marriage James MELVEN to Ann FLEMING
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 10 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
OPR Marriages
Indexes that marriage - so you are able to purchase the marriage record there.

However, don't expect too much...
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&406
Re: What's on an OPR marriage record : in part reads
".....At best: date(s) of the proclamation of intended marriage and/or date of marriage, names of bride and groom and their parish of residence, sometimes the occupation of the groom and occasionally the name of the bride's father.
At worst:the names of the bride and groom recorded along with the fee paid in caution.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 10 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ambly. I wasn't over confident that I would get much as its an early marriage - guess I was right

The occupation would help IF it was recorded. But as I am not even sure this is the right wedding, I'll try some other avenues first before I buy.

I have used the Scotlands People site before, but for Censuses and latter BDMs, where you do get something for your money.  ;)

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 10 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Les,

A bit of a result which may help.  I downloaded the entry which has some useful info on it.

"James Melven - Married in Aberdeen to Ann, daughter of the deceased William Fleming late in his Majestys Service by the Reverend Richard P?????? a dissenting Minister of Aberdeen.  In presence of these witnesses, Thomas Dixon, Seaman & Donald McDonald ??? both in Aberdeen".

It's quite a faded entry but readable.

McDonalds occ. will take some interpreting as will the Ministers name - but do-able with the right software.  I hope they're yours, if so pm me and I'll forward it.

Regards,   Steve

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 January 10 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Steve.

The information you have supplied is very good, but doesn't help me at the stage. Its only a hunch that this is my James Melven, and I'm not even sure about his wife's names.

My James Melven was b.Aberdeen abt.1803, a gardener, sailed to Sydney, Australia 1837, indicating he was married. Re-married in 1844 as a widower, indicating first wife died. Only possibility for first wife I can find is Ann Melville (often misspelt) who d.1840 in Sydney.

I have all his Australian family information (including his attempted murder upon his 2nd wife!), its just his first wife I'm trying to find now, and maybe confirming any of his Scottish details.

Les

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 10 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Steve, just an update on your marriage you supplied. I obtained a copy of that marriage from ScotlandsPeople, and posted it on the Deciphering Topic, having forgotten about your original reply (it was a month ago  ;D   ).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,440093.msg3033490.html#msg3033490

I think between you and me, we have got it right?

Les