Author Topic: Hollingworth New Connexion Chapel  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Butlerclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hollingworth New Connexion Chapel
« on: Thursday 28 January 10 17:52 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot that someone who is either interested in the above, or who lives nearby and has access to local people/history; but members of my Walker and Smith families had burials at the above in the mid 1800s (I know this as a fact from a book in my possession), but I have been unable to trace the whereabouts of the burial registers.   The church has been closed for many years, and the registers should have been deposited at the Public Record Office, but do not appear to be.    Can anyone please shed any light on this for me?  Thank you

Butlerclan
Butler;Belfast. Bradshaw;Belfast.Lewis;Belfast/Carnomoney.Adams;Carnmoney

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hollingworth New Connexion Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Butlerclan,

Genuki: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/chs/hollingworth.html shows 3 separate entries for Methodist churches - New Connexion record holdings show Baptisms 1871 - 1949 - normally this would imply that the church was built in 1871. 

What information leads you to believe that they were buried at the Methodist Chapel and not the parish church?  My reaction to the information I have seen would be that there was no burial ground at the church but maybe someone more local can shed some light on this?

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 10 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Manchester Library does hold some records but not for burials. :(

Hollingworth Methodist New Connexion, Spring Street,  Hollingworth

Baptisms-1830-1837        MFPR 294
Baptisms-1871-1965        MFPR 2109
Marriages-1912-1971       MFPR 2109

Have you tried any of the libraries in the area? 

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline Butlerclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 10 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jean and Cancan

I have a book in which my 2nd greatgrandfather wrote that one of his children was buried in the Chapel yard.   His father-in-law and family had connections to the chapel I believe and I am looking for his burial.     I actually went to the Chapel in 1982 when I began my family history and walked around the grave-yard which was very overgrown.     There appeared to be many burials and gravestones.  I also went to Manchester Central Library and saw what they have there.    So, I think I have exhausted everything I can think of to find these registers.      It is my view that they are probably in private hands somewhere.   So if anyone knows anyone from Hollingworth who might have connections with the chapel, then please pass on my enquiry.    With grateful thanks for all the help given.

Butlerclan.

PS I will try the local parish church, but haven't done so yet.

Online derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 20:59 BST (UK) »

Butlerclan

I have very recently begun tracing my family history in Hollingworth and have just found your posting of great interest.  I have traced my grandfather who died in 1918 in Herne Bay Kent and found he is buried in a Military Grave in Hollingworth Cemetery, Spring Street, which I never knew.  He died when my father was only six years old and so I have never had much information.  I was told I was christened at Water Lane Methodist Chapel Hollingworth but on my baptism certificate it states I was baptized at Hollingworth Methodist Chapel, Spring Street, in August 1944. 

I have been and found my grandfather's grave but cannot find my grandmother or any other family members' grave, although the Cemetery is very overgrown.  I was told by a local gentleman that apparently the Chapel closed in 1971 and was bought by a Dr's son who kept antiques there, but there was a fire and the Chapel was burnt down.  It is now just a ruin.  My thinking is that perhaps the burial, marriage and christening records were all lost in the fire unfortunately.

I know this is a late posting but hopefully 'Butlerclan' may go back on the Cheshire Board.

Regards.

Derrygolagh

Offline Butlerclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 September 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
I am interested in your message re the above, and am glad that you too have been to the Chapel yourself and discovered your grandfather's grave.  As I said in my original message, my sister and I walked around the chapel yard in 1981 looking for family graves, but it was very overgrown.   We were given a telephone number by the Archives Dept in Man.Central Lib. of the Methodist Minister who had responsibility for churches in the local area (I believe they operate a 'circuit').  We spoke to his wife and asked about the registers of the church.   She told us that all the extant registers had been deposited with Man.Archives and filmed obviously.  There are lots of gaps so it is very frustrating, and I don't think that they were destroyed in the fire you mentioned, but still believe them to be in private hands somewhere, hence my original message.     I know this doesn't help you, or myself either, but I think we just have to accept there is nothing further we can do.

Best wishes Butlerclan

Offline Chris Nilsen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 July 23 14:36 BST (UK) »
I also have relative who was buried in this graveyard, and suspect there are others of mine as well.
But like you I could not find any surviving burial registers.
Did you find anything since your last post?

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online derrygolagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 July 23 10:57 BST (UK) »

Hello Chris Nilsen

I was interested in your message.  My answer to it is that after looking into where the burial records are kept for Hollingworth Graveyard, I'm afraid to say that I have still drawn a blank. My next  check was to see if I could contact the Vicar at Hollingworth Methodist Chapel on Water Lane, Hollingworth, but first I am going to contact heatherjulie by PM as she has posted after you.  Hopefully she may kindly do a "lookup" for us. If I get a positive answer from her I will post again on the main board.

Regards.
Derrygolagh