Author Topic: USA Death cert  (Read 1090 times)

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
USA Death cert
« on: Friday 29 January 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm new at this genealogy stuff and I'm trying to find a death certificate for an Ernest Clark, possibly in New Jersey, who died in 1947 approx 69 yrs of age. Married to Myrtle nee Johnson. Ernest Clark is my great grandfather and he remarried apparently in America but I'm unable to find divorce papers for him and my g grandmother in England or Australia and her Aus death cert says shes a widow and he is her spouse. But anyway, back on track, if anyone could help me that would be great. Thanks.

Charlene

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: USA Death cert
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 January 10 13:38 GMT (UK) »
New Jersey death records from that time period are not available online.  There's information on ordering them here:  http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/gen.shtml

In case you need it, I found Ernest & Myrtle in West Orange, New Jersey on the 1930 Census. 

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 January 10 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Is there anyway to find out information such as the record number like you would with UK cert? I'm not sure if he died in New Jersey, he seemed to move around so is there a website you could recommend where I could search?

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 10 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlene,

It would be a lot of work as there are over 500 Ernest Clark's listed but you could try the U.S. Social Security Death Index.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

Good hunting.

J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 10 18:15 GMT (UK) »
States maintain their own records, and there's nothing that covers the whole US for that time frame.  Most states don't have vital records or indexes online, and the New Jersey site states that their records aren't searchable online for privacy reasons.  

There is a death index for New York City at www.italiangen.org.  There is a library that will do look-ups in the New York State death index, but with such a common surname and not knowing what area he might have been in, I'd doubt that they'd be able to find anything definitive for you.

Sorry, J.A.M., but the Social Security Death Index, with some rare exceptions, primarily has deaths from the 1960's and later.  I wouldn't expect Ernest to show up there.  You can do an advanced search with the date of death and there are no Ernest Clarks who died in 1947.