Author Topic: Mortimer's of N Yorkshire  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mortimer's of N Yorkshire
« on: Friday 29 January 10 16:15 GMT (UK) »
 This bible is from Metcalfe Township, Middlesex County Ontario Canada. The family of George Mortimer moved here around the mid to late 1830's. I believe the dates and names were likely filled out here in Canada .. hence all the place names & dates may not be right-on
 To make this bible page more correct .. I believe Tickring is PICKERING / Clackston is CLAXTON / Strensell is STRENSALL and Screngham is SRAYINGHAM... all in North Yorkshire .. just north and east & north=east of the city of York. Title page of same bible, stated published 1804.
 Same bible states: George Mortimer born Claxton Yorkshire March 29 1790 - 91 / married Jane Fletcher at Srayingham Yorkshire Nov 25 1818 .. both died in Metcalfe township Middlesex County Ontario Canada in 1867
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.