Author Topic: The elusive Eleanor!  (Read 3196 times)

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The elusive Eleanor!
« on: Friday 29 January 10 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I have decided to have a 'renewed' attempt to solve a family mystery, and would appreciate any help or advice from my fellow rootschatters.
Eleanor Heap (b  Jan 1898) Skipton, mother Mary Alice Heap (b 1871) Colne Lancashire. Mary Alice married Robert Wormwell (b 1870) in June 1898.
1901 census shows Robert, Mary and Eleanor residing in Colne - Eleanor now recorded as Wormwell not Heap.
I know Mary and Robert went on to have two more children, Robert (b 1903) and Joseph (b 1905).
The story passed down the family is that Mary and the little girl (Eleanor) left the country possibly to Canada or America with the help of the Salvation Army, leaving Robert Senior and the two boys behind. The information is very sketchy!! I had a quick look on the 1911 census last year and found Robert Senior living with his mother in Colne with the two boys - no sign of Mary or Eleanor - pointing to some truth in the family story. This would lead me to believe that Mary and Eleanor would probably have left some time after the birth of the youngest son 1905 and the 1911 census. I have contacted the Salvation Army Archivists both in the UK and Canada who tell me that there are no records available for these dates.I have a subscription for A...Y and have tried searching emigration records for my ladies but have had no success.
Could someone possibly check out the 1911 census again for the two lasses in case I've missed something? Or give me any advice or help in my emigration search. I would really like to finally shed some light on this mystery  ??? Many thanks to you all, The lassie
Wormwell, Whitaker, Lancashire
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The elusive Eleanor!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 January 10 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Could someone possibly check out the 1911 census again for the two lasses in case I've missed something

Please see

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,355484.0.html

The free 1911 index shows a Mary Heap b Colne aged 40 living in Burnley but you would need to buy credits to view the full entry. 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 January 10 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that I've nothing positive to add.

I've followed the 1911 entry Carole mentioned, but it's a single 40 year old Mary Heap, Farmer's daughter working on farm, living at home with her widowed mother, age 70, and two brothers.  Looks very unlikely as there's no sign of Eleanor.   

I also had a quick look at UK passenger lists (leaving UK) from 1905 and can't see Eleanor and Mary under either surname.     Is it possible they could have used another name?      

Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 10 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Do you know Mary Alice's parents names?
Have you checked her siblings - maybe if she had a brother who went abroad?

They could have well travelled under different names- whether that's "Alice" and "Nellie" for the first names and Heap/Wormwell/???? for the surname (i.e. if Mary was travelling with a new "husband").
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 10 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help good folks!
I have information for Mary's siblings etc but have no time just now to search it out (have to do some shopping  :(
From memory Mary's father was called Servetus Heap (but I know she couldnt have travelled with him). Her mother was Margaret Heap (formely Jackson I think) One lead could be that I am certain she had a brother called Edmondson - quite an unusual name - and I think a brother called John.
I have tried to search under the combinations of names suggested ie Nellie/Alice, Wormwell/Heap, but with no luck so far. The sibling route could be a good option though.
thanks again everyone. Sorry I must dash off,
Lancs-lassie
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 10 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Actually I did do a quick search for Eleanor last evening, and found her in the Wormwell public family tree (presumably yours?)    From that I had Mary's parents names and, feeling a little Miss Marple-ish on a Friday night, did a quick search using Jackson as well.
It did occur to me that whilst times change, the human condition doesn't, and it could have been that Mary wanted not to be found and used her mother's maiden name.
No Mary Alice Jackson travelling, nor an Eleanor; there was one Nellie Jackson, but she was with a family including both parents and siblings.
Loved Mary's father's name!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 January 10 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miss Marple!  ;D
 Good idea to try the mum's maiden name, I hadn't thought of that one. The challenges of family research are now beginning to show themselves!I am a bit of a newbie to this stuff- started it all last year; in fact it was my dad mentioning his grandma and one of her children disappearing (he didn't know for sure it was a girl, and certainly didn't know her name was Eleanor!) that prompted me to start the family tree. My dad has some problems now with his memory and I would love to be able to solve this mystery for him before he is unable to understand it all :'(
Yes the wormwell tree is mine, plus a Whitaker tree from my husbands dad,s side. This geneology stuff is both highly addictive and frustrating isn't it? ???
I wonder how difficult (and brave)it must have been in those days to up and leave your husband and some children. I think the boys who were left behind had quite a troubled life.
Thank you for your help,
Clair
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 10 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Clair, I agree with every word you say - addictive, frustrating, but how good it feels when you finally find that elusive person!

Look, I'm sure you are aware of this one and it's probably coincidence but Mary Alice Wormwell is a fairly distinctive name, and there is a marriage in 1901 between Mary Alice Wormwell (or possibly Mary Ellen Wormwell) to either a Joseph Gerrard or a William Smith - 2 marriages on the sheet.

I take it you are absolutely sure that the two boys born in 1903 and 1905 were Mary Alice's sons?   I was just wondering if it were possible that the marriage was shortlived and she had a whole new life.  I'll admit to being influenced by not being able to find my gr.gr.grandmother's death for years and finally discovering that was because she had a second marriage nobody in the family had ever mentioned.

It's probably not your lady, but if you want to look it's Burnley in Lancashire, Q2 1901, Volume 8e, Page 592.

Offline lancs-lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Well now I do feel daft! I hadn't even thought of looking for a second marriage for Mary Alice. My dad has often told stories of how hard a life his father and uncle endured (Robert Jnr and Joseph), when they were small. This scenario would bring new mysteries for me to investigate, such as if Mary Alice was not the boy's mother, then who was? and where was she by 1911 when Rbt senior was livivng with his mum with the  little lads? Oh no, more things to challenge me ha ha!
Anway, thank you for your interest in my elusive rellies. I am now going to investigate these possible marriages and maybe pay some money to check out the 1911 census for Mary Alice and Eleanor with the new "possible"surnames.
Bye for now,
 Clair
Ellis, Flintshire
Stephens, Kent
Sherred, Devon/Kent