Author Topic: 1901 census Glasgow  (Read 7029 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 January 10 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Kath

To be honest, sounds like you have plugged away at this for a while, also like you have been down many roads on this one.

You are doing the right thing of coming back to this every so often and getting new people to look at it as everyone does searches differently. It's is down to luck now. I've often seen puzzles like this unravel with just one critial piece of info.

Always hopeful me  ;D

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

I started looking for Peters birth record about 3 years ago,maybe more.   As we knew for sure that he was in Sunderland from early 1900s it was quite easy finding him on1901.   

No luck on the Scottish birth searches no matter how much I tried using varients on Cairns etc.     I was chuffed to bits when English 1911 was released early.    You have seen that it is clear enough that he thought Greenock was his birthplace.

Over the last 3 or so years I have not been really too diligant with stuff I have looked for because of the birthplace being vague in the family.   

I could have cried when I could not see a Greenock birth.

I am now retired with more time to devote to this and I can see that a trip to Glasgow is required.

Although Peter produced 5 sons to carry his name forward  there are now only 2 child producing Cairns men. One is my son David who has a 3 year old John.   I want to find stuff for John really.

Thank you for your help here.   I knew Rootschatters were brilliant.    I have used the site a little before.

Byeeeeeee

Kath

Blizzard in Wilts.  Rose in Bucks.  White, Hodgson in Durham and Yorks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 January 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Just adding another variant to look for (not easy sometimes is it with some names!). Peter and Patrick are interchangeable in Scotland for that period. I have been looking under both names and nothing still.

Monica

Offline jac2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 07:32 GMT (UK) »
hi
going through the catholic births and baptisms on sp theres a patrick cairns born/baptised to a thomas on 25 may 1868 at st josephs glasgow, just a hunch as the other siblings went into the priesthood and the convent.
jac2
jack, mitchell,lowrie murray, donaldson, forgie, anderson, corbett, spence thomson kerr plouman/plowman,  fife, midlothian, lanarkshire, moray, wick.

Offline tracytats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 April 22 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath

There are 417 entries showing for the Convent of the Good Shepherd at Dalbeth, Tollcross in 1901. The lion share of the entries are for inmates/school children. Can't see any entries for Cairns and variants  :-\

Might be worth you posting again details of your husband's grandfather?

Monica  :)

Sorry to jump on this post I don't know if this will work and I don't know any other way but could you tell me how to look at the census records for dalbeth convent I to would like to find my husbands grandmother on the 1911 census.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 01 May 22 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi tracytats

The only place to search/look up the 1911 Scottish Census is on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is pay to view (but costs are reasonable).

You can't search by address though. The earlier censuses, you have the option to search the transcripts by address on the subscription services such as Ancestry or Find my Past.

Dalbeth Convent shows on the 1901 census with the following references:

Registration district:    Shettleston
Civil parish: Shettleston
County: Lanarkshire
Address: Dalbeth, Tollcross
ED: Convent of the Good Shepherd

You can search on SP therefore as Glasgow City and then Shettleston and then use name and ages to try to find her.

Monica

Offline tracytats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 May 22 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi tracytats

The only place to search/look up the 1911 Scottish Census is on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk which is pay to view (but costs are reasonable).

You can't search by address though. The earlier censuses, you have the option to search the transcripts by address on the subscription services such as Ancestry or Find my Past.

Dalbeth Convent shows on the 1901 census with the following references:

Registration district:    Shettleston
Civil parish: Shettleston
County: Lanarkshire
Address: Dalbeth, Tollcross
ED: Convent of the Good Shepherd

You can search on SP therefore as Glasgow City and then Shettleston and then use name and ages to try to find her.

Monica

Thank you Monica.

Offline Yorky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Tracytats

I have looked at Dalbeth Convent censuses up to 1911 and have prints.  What is the name of the lady you are searching for.  I will look for you. 

It is 12 years since I first posted on Rootschat for Dalbeth.  I still have not traced my man Peter Cairns (hubby's grandad) but I live in hopes.  It would be great if I could help you.

Bye for now
Kath (Yorky)
Blizzard in Wilts.  Rose in Bucks.  White, Hodgson in Durham and Yorks

Offline tracytats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 May 22 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Tracytats

I have looked at Dalbeth Convent censuses up to 1911 and have prints.  What is the name of the lady you are searching for.  I will look for you. 

It is 12 years since I first posted on Rootschat for Dalbeth.  I still have not traced my man Peter Cairns (hubby's grandad) but I live in hopes.  It would be great if I could help you.

Bye for now
Kath (Yorky)

Hello Kath thank you so much
I'm looking for Helen Harris born 6/3/1896 in Dundee parents Thomas Harris and Helen Welsh but there is a twist as she may have the name Helen Allan/en or Helen White or Helen Marie Antoinette Harris Allan/en she had all these names due to her mum having different men. It would be wonderful to find her on the 1911 census in dalbeth convent.
Best wishes Tracy.