Author Topic: clan ian ruadh of knoydart  (Read 21061 times)

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: clan ian ruadh of knoydart
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 30 September 21 13:27 BST (UK) »
Wondering whether anyone reading this thread has a paper tail or a Family Tradition  of being a direct paternal descendant (or has a Father, brother, or male 1st cousin who is) of Clan iain Ruadh?  If so, very interested to hear from you.  Please post a reply.

Offline brentmacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 28 February 22 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Wondering whether anyone reading this thread has a paper tail or a Family Tradition  of being a direct paternal descendant (or has a Father, brother, or male 1st cousin who is) of Clan iain Ruadh?  If so, very interested to hear from you.  Please post a reply.

I don't have hard evidence, or surviving oral tradition, but my own paper trail stops with Duncan McDonald and Jonat Stotard, who flourished in 1663. I've run across quite a few ancestry trees who place Duncan as either son or grandson of Ruari Mac Ian Ruadh. I've not found any way to verify this connection on paper, but I am waiting on results from a why DNA test through the Clan Donald DNA Project.

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 April 22 21:12 BST (UK) »

I don't have hard evidence, or surviving oral tradition, but my own paper trail stops with Duncan McDonald and Jonat Stotard, who flourished in 1663. I've run across quite a few ancestry trees who place Duncan as either son or grandson of Ruari Mac Ian Ruadh. I've not found any way to verify this connection on paper, but I am waiting on results from a why DNA test through the Clan Donald DNA Project.

Good day Brent, interested to hear whether have you received any your Y DNA results as of yet?  Which test did you take (if you don’t mind me asking)?

Offline Gus58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Angus McDonald - McDonald of Clanranald
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 23 April 23 15:44 BST (UK) »
Does anyone here have a Gedmatch id? My fathers is SG7561391 We are McDonald of Knoydart according to Clan Donald DNA.

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 23 April 23 17:17 BST (UK) »
GUS58,

What is your Father's clan Donald Code number?  Do you know what group he was placed within?  Did he take a Y DNA test?

Offline Gus58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 24 April 23 08:35 BST (UK) »
Clan Donald id is &4QIZ5, 2nd one listed under Clanranald in the bigY results.

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 24 April 23 11:29 BST (UK) »
If you are on Facebook, I would recommend joining the group "MacDonnell /MacDonell Glengarry Genealogy”.

Offline Gus58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 24 April 23 11:38 BST (UK) »
Any reason why? We are neither McDonnell or Glengarry…

Offline Peter MacDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 24 April 23 11:57 BST (UK) »
Knoydart MacDonalds as you likely already know were a cadet line of Clanranald.  The family formal lost their lands in 1611 when they fell to the possession of Glengarry.  The FB group is largerly made up of persons who’s ancestor emigrated to the Glengarry area of Eastern Ontario.  There has been a significant amount of genealogy work by the descendants of the emmigrants.

Knoydart as been cleared at least twice which makes research of the lines that lived there a bit more complex.

There is a short write up on the Knoydart MacDonald who were a cadet of ClanRanald by Norman H MacDonald in his book The Clan Ranald of Garmoran: A History of the MacDonalds of ClanRanald.