Author Topic: Bodlondeb, Trefriw  (Read 21963 times)

Offline pw1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bodlondeb, Trefriw
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 21 April 12 10:06 BST (UK) »
Have now received both John and Mary's death certificates.  John died of TB but you may know this.  Mary is a puzzle as I'm sure it's her but her husband is named as Robert on the death certificate.  She died in childbirth and am sure this will be with her daughter Phoebe as she was born in August 1842.  The address is Bonlondeb and the age is right (give or take a year) so can't understand the husband's name. His occupation is right so feel this must be an error on the original certificate and wonder if John got someone else to register the death and their name has gone on the certificate instead!

How did you get the date of death and burial?  Do you also have the certificates?  Regards Pauline

Offline FlowerBD20

• I am sorry but I have turned off email notifications
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 21 April 12 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again Pauline, That's very interesting, although tragic at the time. No I didn't know any of that, I bought the FHS transcriptions of the burial register of St Mary, Trefriw. I don't have the certificates. Did you get yours from the local register office or the national one? I only found out recently that whereas the local ones are taken from the original register, the  information was sent to the national office from there and so can be subject to the kind of errors that creep in when people try to copy things. I also bought the monumental inscriptions of St Mary's and they don't appear to have a gravestone which seems ironic when John worked with slate! All the best, Marian

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 21 April 12 14:26 BST (UK) »
Just a thought but have you tried looking for a grave up at St Rhychwyn Church in Llanrhychwyn or maybe in the Public Cemetery in Trefriw? I took pictures at both these sites last year and uploaded them to the website billiongraves.com. The pictures are not of the best quality I am afraid. But they may give you a few leads. They should all be indexed by now. So you will be able to search for names pretty quickly. Hope it helps

Offline pw1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 21 April 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I want to visit the area soon as it is not too far from here.  I sent for the certificates from the GRO so there could be a problem with transcription.  I am certain it is Mary.  Will look up that website.  Thanks for your help.  Will let you know any further news.  Pauline

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 21 April 12 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Red Dragon and Pauline, Would people in the burial register for St Mary's Trefriw actually be buried at Llanrhychwyn then? I had assumed the two registers would be kept separate? Marian

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 21 April 12 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian

I am trying to cast my mind back to a few years ago when I saw the original registers in the Archives. If memory serves me right I am pretty sure that Llanrhychwyn and Trefriw where in the same book. But do not hold me to that.

Haydn

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 21 April 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again Haydn, It's just that both John and Mary Evans of Bodlondeb are definitely in the St Mary Trefriw burial register but neither of them have an MI there. I originally assumed that they were too poor but that now seems unlikely given the stuff I've gathered on the family they seem to have been reasonably well-off. I have no idea what a slatemaker/quarryman of that era would've earned but there was also an extended family who all seem to have had jobs such as blacksmith, quarrymen, joiners. Marian

Offline DdraigGoch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 21 April 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Marian

My family lines seemed to be super glued to Trefriw. I think I must have about 20 odd people that are in the Burial Registers in St Mary's Church, but have probably only found about 10 M.I.'s for them.

Remember the churchyard is pretty old. I think it is probably close to 100 years since the last burial there. A lot of Gravestones have worn away and maybe even some have fallen over and are buried under years worth of grass.

I am afraid I have not read completely through this thread so sorry if I am repeating questions here but can I ask when your William and Mary Evans where buried? and how old where they? I have quite a few M.I.'s for the local area. You never know maybe I can turn something up for you.

Haydn

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 21 April 12 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Haydn, Mary Evans was buried St Mary Trefriw 31 Aug 1842 age 36y abode Bodlondeb, John Evans 23 Feb 1865 age 57 same abode, and the offering at his burial was 16s 4d !!! I hadn't twigged until you said but of course a lot can happen to gravestones in all that time they may have had one once. Marian