Author Topic: a distillery in ?? clonmel  (Read 12096 times)

Offline EAP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: a distillery in ?? clonmel
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 April 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
On the 'Tipperary Resources' page I clicked the links to Pigot's Directory 1824 and Slater's Directory 1842, while researching my own ancestors.

The links take you to a page where you can choose 'Munster' and then the pages for Clonmel.

I was not looking for your man, but I did notice there were headings for distillers and for wine and spirit merchants. Just thought it might be worth you having a look in these trade directories or any others you can find.

Edwina

researching HANRAHAN
SHINE
McGRATH
in Clonmel

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: a distillery in ?? clonmel
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 November 13 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Clonmel, in South Tipperary, had quite a few Distillery's, when the corn market collapsed, many of these old mills were turned into Distillerys, the Distillery at Marlfield however was purpose built for that exact purpose in 1817 by John Stein, so if your John Nairne came to help set up that distillery he would have been roughly 41 years old at that time, in 1859 the Mill at Marlfield Clonmel was employing 150 people. the Distillery was purchased by the Jameson Whiskey family of Dublin in 1850's but was closed in 1867, there are many unusual names in Marlfield Church Graveyard, many of them of Scottish Origin, former workers of the once prosperous Marlfield Whiskey Distillery. when I can lay my hands on the Marlfield Graveyard records, I will post back if I can find any evidence of your John Nairn-Nairne.,, ps if you mentioned who John Nairn's parents were it would help in any search for a marriage in Ireland, as one or other of the Parents would be named on the Marriage Cert, and this would narrow the field greatly.