Author Topic: WW2 Keeper of house of ill repute  (Read 18731 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Keeper of house of ill repute
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine that would certainly be the case, either "In house" or within easy travelling distance, though being the US Army they may have made arrangements for transportation, or have I watched The Dirty Dozen too many times? If that is the case about transportation it may be necessary to widen the search area.Make that 2 small or one large whisky!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I can't help with where it would have been, but Peover Hall is definitely Over Peover - you have to go up the drive to the hall and through the courtyard to get to the church (St Lawrence).

This link should show you where the Lower and Over Peover (also know as Peover Superior & Peover Inferior) are in relation to each other (A is St Oswald's, Lower Peover and B is St Lawrence, Over Peover - you can see how remote St Lawrence is):

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07yd/

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline monica meg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 10 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Cheers, will check it out, if I can still see, will make the whiskies smaller. Personally, I suspect it may have been just in the nearby area as the family member was previously a cotton dyer in m/cr, so maybe just a little sideline? if that makes sense.
Burnett, Manchester, Halifax
Mccaffery Manchester, Ireland
Law Manchester
Riley Manchester, Ireland
Boswell Manchester, Ireland
Hamilton, Lanarkshire Scotland
McLauchlan Lanarkshire
Lawson Lanarkhire
Yuill Raeside Lanarkshire
Nimmo Lanarkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 January 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
There were also GIs in Hale, Cheshire which is not that far from Lower or Over Peover, my mum had relatives there and it was just a bus ride for us to visit them.  Not sure where they were stationed though as I only knew them at the Drill Hall.

I was only a little girl at the time, but I do remember the black GIs had to wait outside the Drill Hall in Hale whilst the white GIs had their meals and then they could have theirs.  My family only lived a hundred or so yards from the Drill Hall and I used to talk to the GIs.  The one I remember best was black GI called George.  As I was a very little girl at the time, only nearly 5 when the war ended, I wasn't given nylon stockings but chewing gum and sweets (which the GIs called Candy of course). ;D

Lizzie

Offline monica meg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 January 10 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie, all info is valuable, I would'nt have known Hale was a bus ride away, difficult when you don't know the area, and in the war what was possible as far as travel is concerned.
Will check out the drill hall,.
Like the picture you paint of the GI's ( not the blacks having to wait outside)
Regards monica meg :)
Burnett, Manchester, Halifax
Mccaffery Manchester, Ireland
Law Manchester
Riley Manchester, Ireland
Boswell Manchester, Ireland
Hamilton, Lanarkshire Scotland
McLauchlan Lanarkshire
Lawson Lanarkhire
Yuill Raeside Lanarkshire
Nimmo Lanarkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 31 January 10 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meg

It was after the war I used to visit either Lower or Over Peover with my mum can't remember now.  I know we used to just get a bus (probably from Altrincham) although I really don't remember.  I doubt there's a bus service now.

Lizzie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 January 10 10:55 GMT (UK) »
It was shown as Lower Peover on the map I googled yesterday.Possibly a suitably worded letter to the local paper mentioning no names of course, but asking if anyone remembers the house of ill repute might be useful.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline peckj02

• RootsChat Extra
  • jessie & horace chandley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 January 10 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The best newspaper to contact would be the Knutsford Guardian which comes out every wednesday and has quite a wide circulation in the area. Peover is not that far from Knutsford.

It might also be worth checking with the guardian if they have any stories in their archives which mention a house of ill repute.

There are still busses from altrincham into Knutsford and surrounding towns.

Jill
peck-yorkshire,  lancashire
chandley-gatley, cheshire
barker-lancashire
lane-lancashire

Offline peckj02

• RootsChat Extra
  • jessie & horace chandley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 31 January 10 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought but might be able to see if anyone remembers anything about a house like this in peover.

Not living in Knutsford at present but my parents still do. Will ask dad to have a word with his cronies :) :)  in his local and see if they can come up with anything.
peck-yorkshire,  lancashire
chandley-gatley, cheshire
barker-lancashire
lane-lancashire