Author Topic: ** COMPLETE ** Cemetary Lookup Request - BENDIGO  (Read 9751 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetary Lookup Request - BENDIGO
« Reply #18 on: Monday 01 February 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Donna, and Cando,

The death notice Donna found for him confirms that he is from Dewsbury and the work done by Cando shows a child from a previous marriage, born and died in Dewsbury to parents Thomas and Elizabeth, as well as all the information about the deaths and the children born here.

IGI have three children baptised in Dewsbury to Thomas and Elizabeth GLEDHILL with two of them dying as babies.  I see Thomas and Elizabeth in the 1841 census with Emeline but cannot see them in 1851 although Emeline would seem to be with her uncle and aunt as a visitor.  Happy to post this info if you want it.

Cheers, Judith

PS
Wivenhoe, there is mention in Sarah's will that she recieved a one-fifth share of her husband's estate.  The only child mentioned by her in her will is the son Edward Arthur.
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TimePilot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 February 10 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread posted on my behalf by my wife Lynda. The information above is both confusing and fascinating, but on balance it now seems most likely that the Thomas Gledhill who sailed to Oz is not my ancestor although the door doesn't feel completely closed.

...I have at least two Thomas Gledhill's from Dewsbury (my great great grandfather and his father) in my family tree. The younger Thomas Gledhill certainly did not leave Yorkshire and my grandmother and four siblings are present with him (aged 65) in his house on the occasion of the 1911 UK census.

The issue for me is over the disappearance of Thomas Gledhill (senior) who is present with his wife Elizabeth and children living on Dewsbury Moor in the 1841 and 1851 UK census pages, but missing thereafter. Perhaps you can all see how I was attracted to the notion that he might have gone alone to Australia and not the least because he was a coal miner and miners would have been flooding into Bendigo in the 1850's. Found a new wife in Sarah Walker as well.

That said in the last few days I have now found records for five Thomas Gledhill's who died in Dewsbury between the 1851 and 1861 census. ...Seems Thomas Gledhill's were two for a penny in Dewsbury in those days. I have to think that reduces the odds of my Thomas Gledhill having gone to Oz to one in six and that perhaps more likely is that he died down a Dewsbury coal pit. Also the Bendigo Thomas Gledhill was a farmer and indeed someone above has also indicated that he was in the wool trade before he left Dewsbury. In light of this I prefer not to pay for his marriage certificate to Sarah Walker for the time being as someone has suggested. However, I remain intrigued to learn more of the Australian Thomas Gledhill and very much welcome any further insight. ...Would certainly have been interesting to know what it said in his will and unfortunate that unlike his wife Sarah's will it has not been digitised.

Thanks, Pete 

Offline TimePilot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,
               I have decided I will pay for a copy of this marriage certificate for Thomas Gledhill to Sarah Walker and for which you kindly provided the Reg #2959, ...however, the Victorian heritage search page fails to find it for me even when I include that number. Wondering if you can provide further advice please?

Cheers,
Timepilot

There is a marriage for a Thomas in 1855

Marriage
GLEDHILL Thomas
WALKER Sarah
1855 Reg#2959

This couple had children from 1856 - 1865 the last three were born at Sandhurst former name for Bendigo.

Death
GLEDHILL Thomas
Father Thomas  Mother Mary UNKNOWN
64 years  Birth Place York  1876  Reg#7431

Interred in the same grave as Thomas -

Death
GLEDHILL Sarah
Father Walker Chas  Mother Unknown STEAD
83 years  at Bendigo  1906  Reg#4333

There does not appear to be Eunice GLEDHILL on the Bendigo Cemeteries Trust database.

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ** COMPLETE ** Cemetary Lookup Request - BENDIGO
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
I have entered the details as if to purchase and it works for me.

Use the link below

https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=purchaseImage

From the website -

Details of the Image to be purchased

All fields marked This field is mandatory must be completed:

Family Name: GLEDHILL

Event (choose one):  Birth Death Marriage

Registration Number: 2959

Year of Registration:1855

Applicant Name: Your name

Phone Number: Optional

Email Address: Optional

And click Purchase will which open in a new page for you to enter you credit card information.

After approval follow the instructions and download the image to your computer.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TimePilot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help CANDO - I've got it now. ...The marriage certificate for Thomas Gledhill and Sarah Walker has provided sufficient x-checks for me to completely discount this Thomas as my relative.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
Oh what a disappointment.   So difficult to trace a relative from an area where there are so many of the same name.  Good luck with your research :)

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ammo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 October 11 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help CANDO - I've got it now. ...The marriage certificate for Thomas Gledhill and Sarah Walker has provided sufficient x-checks for me to completely discount this Thomas as my relative.
Oops!, I'm new to this website.  My wife is related to Thomas and Sarah Walker (above) so information contained within the marriage certificate would be most useful.  Would you be able to advise the names of the parents of both.  I currently have Thomas' parents as Thomas Gledhill and Mary Berry/Greenald. I believe Sarah's parents may have been Charles Walker and Jane Stead.  Thanks.