Author Topic: Cosford Marriages  (Read 22172 times)

Offline LOSTREVANS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cosford Marriages
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 January 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Geoffrey

My dates are almost the same as yours, you've got a lot days and months than me.  Have you been able to verify them?  My major difference is  Robert b.1639 you've put   his death as 1697, I've got 15 Jul 1709 the same year as his son John.  I've got Hannah's death as 1697.

My major sources are Charles Reginald Revans 1947.
A Rodwell from Ipswich 1966 and his daughter 1988.
Molly Green from Suffolk .
Rev Struan Robertson New Zealand.

A bone of contention that I can't resolve is the parentage of William Revans who married Mary Noller in 1722.

Finally look at my post for Duke of Anjou, can you make any suggestions for that Revans

Regards Walter

Offline grib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 30 January 11 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Walter,

Many thanks for your useful reply. I suspect you may be right about Robert Revans, b. 1639. I could easily have confused husband and wife in my notes. 

My main source has been a Charles Ribbons with whom I corresponded several years ago. He accumulated a vast quantity of information but often didn't give his source. I am intrigued by your comment on the Duke of Anjou, but couldn't find the posting. Nor do I know anything of William = Mary Noller in 1722.  I would very much like to know more of Margaret Revans, b. 1611 (daughter of William, b. 1581, and Margaret), who may have married a William Danforth (a famous family indeed).

Lets keep up the correspondence.

Geoffrey

Offline LOSTREVANS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 30 January 11 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Geoffrey

I've got Margaret marrying William Danforth and having two daughters, Susan and Margaret, but that's all I've got.

Walter

Offline grib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 February 11 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Walter, for the two daughters of William Darnforth and Margaret Revans. Where did you find this data?  I am interested in Darnforth because I have unconfirmed information (from the Charles Ribbons I mentioned before) that Humphrey Revans was a friend and co-church warden of the Nicholas Darnforth who emigrated to Massachusetts and founded the township of Framington.

Best wishes,
Geoffrey

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 13 February 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoffrey,

It was the Nicholas Danforth fleet that left Framlingham in Suffolk to set up Framingham in Massachusetts.
Somewhere along the journey the 'L' was lost  :D

A good book on the subject is

Nicholas Danforth and his Neighbours
Framlingham and Saxtead in the 17th Century
by
John Booth of London
pub by Framingham Historical and natural History Society
Framingham Massachusetts USA October 1935

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 February 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the listings of the neighbours in the book mentioned above and there are 'Revans' listed as detailed below

At Saxtead

Greene

William Ruvance
William Ruvance iunr:

Streete

Humphery Ruvance
Robert Ruvance
William Ruvance

At Bradley Woode 89 acres
five names including John Ruvance

(all spellings as listed).

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline grib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 February 11 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Pat, for this most useful information: six 17C Revans in a row! And my appreciation of all you do for a whole army of ancestor-seekers throughout Suffolk. You are a mine of knowledge about the whole county, especially on the two areas that interest me most: Framlingham, where my yeoman folks flourished until the Restoration, and then the greater Ipswich area to which they dispersed in a humbler status as butchers, publicans and labourers. It's quite a trajectory from Humphrey who worked with Nicholas Danforth to my gt grandfather Aaron, a jack-of-all trades in 97 Fore Street, who fathered more than 20 children.

Thanks once more,
Geoffrey

Offline grib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Pat,
I wonder if you have easy access to "Able Men of Suffolk", the list compiled for Charles I in 1638 on the brink of the Civil War. If you have and would be kind enough to check it to see if there are any Revans/Ribbans included I'd be very grateful. Sorry to bother such a busy and willing person, but as I live most of the year in the USA I am a long way from Suffolk RO.

Best, Geoffrey

Offline ReadJude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just come across this while digging into my Aunt Carol (by marriage to Read) was (Carol nee GANT b. 1942) part of the family as she is with me on a family visit at the moment.  Working back - her father was Raymond Peter Gant 1915-1995, his father Peter Gant b. Elmsett 1879 d.1943 his father William Gant Elmsett 1848 (wife Rebecca) and his father Robert Gant (m. Eliza)
I have Williams Gant,s children Rebecca, Mary, Alice, William George, Eliza, George A, Jarvis, and Peter

William George m Ellen Coulson and had Basil Dennis Gant who went eventually to live with my aunt's father. She thought he was her Uncle until I found he was her dad's cousin. Basil had a sister Ada but my Aunt did not know there were any other Gant's of her fathers generation!  Is she related to your Gants?
Best regards
Carol ( suffolk/Norfolk - Jude / Read / Grint/ Bee and more..)
read, jude, grint, bee  mouser, Easter Clarke suffolk/norfolk
moore williams venn dawe , pembrokeshire, haverford, bargoed williams Tregaron london chatham
Witnell Edmonton