Author Topic: Cosford Marriages  (Read 22178 times)

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cosford Marriages
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,
Nice to hear from you! Indeed your Aunt and I are related. We are second cousins, one generation removed.

My great grandmother was Eliza Gant, born in Elmsett 21 Jan 1874. She was the daughter of William Gant & Rebecca Anna Leeks and therefore brother of Peter Gant.

William & Rebecca had 13 children in total
Rebecca Anna (1867-1934).
Polly (Mary) (1869-1945).
Alice Sarah (1870-1941).
William George (1872-1960).
Eliza (1874-1961).
George Arthur (1875-1950).
Javis (1877-1959).
Peter (1879-1943).
Edith Mary (1881-1954).
Carrie (1883-1964).
Horace Josiah (1884-1916).
Arthur John (1886-1954).
Sidney Left (1888-1888).

I have details of many of their marriages and families and am happy to share research if you are interested.
Thanks for the information about Basil Dennis Gant as I did not know from which Gant/Coulson marriage he came.

Best wishes,
Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
SIMM, REED, DAWSON, HALL, KENNEDY, BARKESS, WILSON, ARKLE, SHEPHERD, THOMAS.
Ross (Scotland) - BISSET, McDONALD, FERGUSON, FLETCHER
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN
Bucks - BLAND (Stoke Goldington), FRIDAY, DARBY

Offline ReadJude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
Kevin, thank you for the reply, I can see where I lost "Jarvis" in my hunt for a death  if he is "Javis" and the Polly/ Mary thing.  (Aunt) Carole (nee Gant) can recall being taken to see a female Gant relative when she was young so around early 1950's, quote "she must have been elderly as she had very thin hair,"  (or alopecia)  Raymond Peter and his wife Phyllis Rhoda (nee Ambrose) lived at Chelmodiston.
Carole was an only child, she has photos of her dad and Basil Dennis and she thinks she may have one of her grandad.  I will ask her to let me borrow them to scan as they may be of interest to "Gant family" 
I am carol at cotcomdotcom - if you do have time to send me william's other children's marriages. To bring you up to the end of Peter's line Carole married Barney Read, there are two children Jonathan Read and Christina Read.
Best regards
Carol
read, jude, grint, bee  mouser, Easter Clarke suffolk/norfolk
moore williams venn dawe , pembrokeshire, haverford, bargoed williams Tregaron london chatham
Witnell Edmonton

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 20 June 13 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

I think your aunt may have visited my great grandmother! Eliza Lloyd (nee Gant) died in 1961 in Stow Lodge Hospital, Onehouse, but she spent the last few years of her life at the home of her daughter Jessie in Claydon. Great Granny had alopecia and had lost most of her hair. She wore a wig a lot of the time. One of my earliest memories is visiting her in Claydon where she was bedridden.

I will send you details of the family to your email address.
Regards,
Kevin
NBL & DUR - SCOTT, Newcastle (Byker),Ancroft,Eglingham. NEWTON, Newcastle, Gateshead.
Suffolk - MILLER (Eyke, Bromeswell), Lloyd (Burstall), GANT (Elmsett), BARBER (Eyke), LEEKS (Elmsett), DANIELS, HOLDER, DURRANT, MEADOWS, PERCY, ATTERTON, LING, SKINNER, OXX, MALLOWS, CLARKE, WOOLNOUGH, POTTER, COLEMAN

Offline Heather Duffield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 08 December 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am contacting you on behalf of my Mum....Ivy Mary Wright nee Marjoram.....her Mum was Elizabeth Nee Ambrose and they are related to Raymond and Phyllis Gant of Chelmodiston. Mum would love to able to get in touch with their daughter Carol nee Gant if at all possible. I came across your posting regarding the family by chance simply by 'googling' ''Carol Gant Chelmodiston'' ...for her tonight. My email address is .......heatherduffield@hotmail.com
My Mum is now 86 and has been totally blind since she was 21. She has fond memories of visiting her Mothers cousins... Ray who was a shepherd and his wife Phyllis.
Thankyou for your time
Kind Regards
Heather

Offline madepercy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 08 May 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Kevin,
I noticed you had the family name "Percy" on one of your earlier posts. My 3xgreat grandfather moved to Australia in about 1857 and his property was named "Hadleigh" in New South Wales. I have been trying to find a link between Australia and England for many years, and the closest I can find is a William Percy born in 1837 (which matches his death date of 1913 - 76 years of age) and there is the tenuous link between the property name and the town in Suffolk. Grateful for any advice on how one might track a person from Cosford to Australia. His father was apparently William, too, and that matches an entry in the 1841 Census there, with the household consisting of two Williams, Ann, Caroline, Maria, and Hannah in St Margaret District 3. That corresponds with the arrival in 1857 of two Williams, a Mary and a Hannah in Adelaide, South Australia. They were assisted passengers travelling on the ship Henry Moore from Plymouth. I know it is a long shot, but would be grateful for any ideas on how to find out more. Regards, Michael.

Offline scotty151

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 08 May 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael,
The family you are looking at in the 1841 census living in Bolton Lane, Ipswich (St. Margaret's parish) have been wrongly transcribed by Ancestry as Percy when it should be PIZEY. If you look closely you can see the dot above the "i". The children listed in the census correspond to the following baptisms in Ipswich.
Caroline Pizzey bapt 13 Jun 1830 at Ipswich St. Mary le Tower Church to William & Ann Maria Pizzey of St. Margaret's parish.
Ann Maria Pizey, bapt 11 Mar 1832 at Ipswich St. Mary le Tower Church to William & Ann Maria Pizey of St. Margaret's parish.
Anna Pizey, bapt 15 Jan 1837 at Ipswich St. Margaret's to William & Ann Maria Pizey of Bolton Lane.
William Pizey, bapt 15 Jan 1837 at Ipswich St. Margaret's to William & Ann Maria Pizey of Bolton Lane.

My Percy ancestors come from the parish of Elmsett near Hadleigh in the Cosford Registration District of Suffolk. My direct ancestor is Robert Percy, (bapt 2 Mar 1788) son of William & Rachel Percy. They did have a son William Percy who was baptised and buried in 1772. I have not found another William born to this couple, nor do I have any information regarding a William Percy possibly born in Hadleigh c.1837. I have the Suffolk baptism index for the Cosford area and there is nothing recorded for a William Percy at this date.
I regret that I am not very familar with Australian records but wonder whether any (census, marriage, death) might mention your Wiliiam's place of birth in England?
There is another Hadleigh in Essex you might want to consider. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Regards, Kevin

Offline madepercy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 08 May 16 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for responding so quickly. His death certificate states that he was born in London and his father was William Percy and his mother Harriet Wills, but this has yielded nothing after years of searching, hence my looking elsewhere. Thank you again - you have saved me hours! Regards, Michael.