Author Topic: Kirk Session - McAdam Family  (Read 4861 times)

Offline poppets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirk Session - McAdam Family
« on: Monday 01 February 10 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for some information regarding the Kirk session minutes for Kelton/Castle Douglas.

I'm hoping to find some information regarding one of my ancestors - Robert McAdam.

Robert McAdam was born circa 1848 in Castle Douglas. I have been unable to find a baptism record because he was illegitimate. I know that his mother's name was Isabella McAdam, but I have been unable to find a name for his father.

I have been told that the place to look for any information would be the Kirk Session minutes, as they may have recorded the dispute between Isabella and the father over paternity of Robert.

However, as I live in Australia it is very hard to get access to the records. Does anyone know if the Kirk sessions are online, or if there is any way I could get access to them without travelling to Scotland?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Casey.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirk Session - McAdam Family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 10 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The records of the Kelton Kirk Session are at the National Archives Scotland. They are not online and I don't think they offer a search service.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Andy

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 10 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Casey  :)

There is some good news. They are probably going to appear online sometime later this year:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,431331.0.html

(See the  last 2-3 messages)

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 10 08:20 GMT (UK) »
do you think he might be the grandson of michael mcnallie 1851 census and his mother isabella working in another parish as a domestic servant  csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
wrong one this robert is johns son what else do you know about your robert  he may have been listed under his fathers name which was not mcadam  do you have an area or where he died there are a couple of isabellas on census who would be the right age to have a little boy csc

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
possible 1851 robert hook 3 with his grandparents robert 62 born monaghan ireland grandmother agnes 59 born kelton agnes 6 g/dau born canonbie janet dau 15 born kelton margaret 12 dau born kelton mary cole 57 visitor born kelton   1861 robert is still with grandmother agnes in castle douglas under robert mcadam cant find his birth yet csc

Offline poppets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
CSC - Yes, it is my Robert McAdam in the 1861 census with his grandmother Agnes McAdam. Because of this I have assumed that it probably is Robert in the 1851 census under the name of Robert Hoock and that by the 1861 census, his father had denied any parentage and so his name had been changed to Robert McAdam.

I've searched for every combination of Hoock/Hook/Hooke etc for a birth for Robert, but have been unable to find one, which is why I'm hoping to look at the Kirk sessions.

I'm hoping that the Kirk session minutes would confirm that Robert McAdam's father was a man with the surname Hoock/Hook/Hooke... and might tell me more about the father.

I've also searched the census records for 1851 and 1861 for any men with the surname Hoock/Hook etc, but there are too many men with similar surnames to narrow it down.

Gadget - thanks for the information. It would be great if the Kirk Sessions are finally put online. It would make my life a lot easier!

Casey.

Offline Dorothy Parkes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 December 22 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Robert McAdam is my 3rd cousin 3 time removed - quite a distance away.  My research shows that Robert was born to Isabella,  who is listed as having married twice. The first husband is Gordon Hooks, born 1799 in Kirkudbrightshire. However the research I have does not include Isabella as his wife despite him being married twice.  Isabella then Married Robert Turner in 1853, some 5 years after Robert was born. I believe they then came to Australia.   Hope this helps. Dorothy Parkes