Author Topic: Richard Watkins ship owner  (Read 1996 times)

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Watkins ship owner
« on: Monday 01 February 10 11:36 GMT (UK) »
I have just traced members of my family to St Helier 41 Val Plaisant, they were Richard and Ann Watkins He was a retired ship owner and on the 18661&71 census was registered as blind,  I can find no trace of the in 1851 or 1881 census but in 1891 Ann is back in England on her own.  Could anyone help to trace if he died there or anything about the ships. 
Many thanks,
Jay

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Watkins ship owner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jay

Sorry this one took so long, I seemed to have missed your posting.

There is a RW death in the St Helier deaths index, Feb 1871 to Apr 1872, volume 22, page 63.

I need to check the certificate that this is your man which I can do tomorrow. I'll also try to find details of the ships he owned or sailed on.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jay

Yes, that death is your man - died 25th Nov 1871 at 41, Val Plaisant from "inflamation poumons(?)". He was an armateur (shipowner) and Louis Dolbel of 6, Dorset Street was present at his death.

Establishing his ship has proved more difficult. Early reference books show a list of Jersey registered ships and their owners. I have not been able to look at every year as it is in ship type, ship name, owner order so I have picked samples between 1841 and 1871. Sadly I can not see his name mentioned. Also after 1851, sailors of Jersey registered ships had to pay into the seaman's pension fund. There is no mention of him so this suggests that he was not the owner or sailed on a Jersey registered ship.

Stewart

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart
thank you so much for the information,  Richard came from a wealthy family  living at Aislaby Hall, Aislaby, Whitby ,Yorkshire, so he could have the ships registered there,   All of his 10 siblings never had to work and were all registered as land owners or living of dividends. At least I know that he died in Jersey  so a step forward
Thanks again for your help
Jean

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart
Sorry to bother you again but from his obituary could you tell if they had any children  They were married in 1835 and disappeared until I found them in Jersey . so I don.t know if they had any family.
Thank you
Jay

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
There was nothing on his death certificate to suggest he had children.

The best I can suggest is to look for any Watkins births from 1851 to 1861 in St Helier. We know the 1861 census shows no children and as he doesn't appear that he was in Jersey in 1851 that's the best I can think of. It's not a popular Jersey name so it shouldn't prove too difficult.

Stewart

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 April 10 15:35 BST (UK) »
thanks again I will try that. I have traced L Dolbel on the 1871 census they lived next door to the Watkins.  Just found that his father Francis made several trips to the West Indies in the early 1800 so they could have been anywhere, !!! 
Jay