Author Topic: Watkins of Aislaby Hall  (Read 11675 times)

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watkins of Aislaby Hall
« on: Monday 01 February 10 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I have traced on the 1841 census Francis and Christina Watkins who were living at Aislaby Hall Aislby Whitby  I have traced so far 6 children the on all census they were either landowners or of independent means . Richard the eldest married my gg aunt Ann they lived for awhile on Jersey  he as a retired ship owner,  Can anyone tell me anything about Aislaby Hall or the ships owned by Richard.

Thank you Jean

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Watkins of Aislaby Hall
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 10 19:45 GMT (UK) »
little bit on Genuki:

AISLABY township contains 720 acres of land, valued for rateable purposes at £930; and 134 inhabitants. J. Mitchelson-Mitchelson, Esq., is lord of the manor, but Mrs. Watson owns the greater part of the land. The village stands on the Pickering and Kirbymoorside road, a little beyond Middleton. Aislaby Hall, the residence of Colonel Bicknell, is a curious and interesting old house, built last century by the Hayes family, one of whom was vicar of Middleton.   (info from 1890)

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
death of son:

15 March 1889
On the 7th inst., very suddenly, at his residence, South View, Basingstoke, Hants.
Edmund, youngest son of the late Francis and Christiana Watkins, of Aislaby
Hall, Whitby, aged 58 years.

marriages:

31 December 1864
On the 29th inst., at St.George's, Bloomsbury, by the Rev. Alex. C.Ponton, the Rev. T.N.Grigg,
vicar of St.George's, near Bristol, to Elina Jane, eldest daughter of the late Francis Watkins, Esq.,
of Aislaby Hall, near Whitby, Yorkshire.

13 January 1868
On Wednesday, the 5th inst., at St.George's Cathedral, by the Right Rev. Dr.Grant, Jean Baptiste
Andre de Heyn, C.E., Attached to the Ministere de l'interieur, Belgium, to Anne, youngest daughter of
the late Francis Watkins, Esq., of Whitby, Yorkshire.

Diddy

Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Dear Diddy

Thank you for the information,  I had seen the obituary for Edmund but the 2 girls are new to me. 
Is there any older information or photos of the Hall and where would I be able to see a copy of Francis will.

Thank you
Jean

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi jean, i just found that info by googling!! always worth a look first. can't seem to find any other info on the hall, i think looking at entries it is now tourist fodder /cottages etc.
i didn't look on Francis frith as i saw somewhere it said no pic available.

as a former librarian i would always advocate contacting the local library for this sort of info.

will look up ref for you. will also look on A* to see if will available.

Diddy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 08:48 GMT (UK) »
this would seem to be the nearest library:

Name: Whitby library and information centre
Address: Windsor Terrace
Whitby
North Yorkshire
YO21 1ET
United Kingdom

Email: whitby.library@northyorks.gov....
Tel: 0845 300 6687 
Fax: 01947 820288 

however you can find all info by googling North yorks library services.

Diddy

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Post 1858 wills are available from the Central Probate Office Holborn and the York one takes postal enquiries.  You send £5 and an approximate date of death.   They send it with in a couple of weeks if it exists.
Andrea

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean,

In January, 1857, Aislaby Hall came up for sale, the then current owner, a Mr. Robert Noble put it up for auction, and the advert appeared in the Hull Packet newspaper, available through gale databases: The advert is interesting as it gives some information about the hall, and life in general of the times

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times, Friday, January 2, 1857:

FREEHOLD ESTATES, NEAR WHITBY In the North-Riding of Yorkshire,
An important and valuable PROPERTY, comprising the MANSION-HOUSE, called Aislaby-Hall, with the PLEASURE-GROUNDS, and about 14acres of Old Grass LAND, with the MANOR or LORDSHIP of AISLABY, with the MOOR and extensive STONE QUARRIES thereon, the property of Robert Noble, Esquire, situate at Aislaby, three miles from the populous and fashionable watering –place of Whitby, and one mile from the Sleights Station of the Whitby and Pickering branch of the North-Eastern Railway.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION, by Mr. John Hugill, on Thursday,15th day of January, 1857, at the Angel Hotel, Whitby, at two o’clock in the afternoon (unless previously disposed of by Private Sale, of which notice will be given) subject to conditions then and there produced, a Freehold ESTATE, situate at Aislaby, near Whitby in the following lots:-
Lot 1. All that capital MANSION-HOUSE, called “Aislaby Hall” situate in the Township of Aislaby, in the parish of Whitby, built of freestone, and slated containing Dining and Drawing-rooms, Breakfast-room or library, Kitchen and Scullery, on the first floor, five best Bed-rooms on the second floor, and Servants Attics above. Also, a large room adjoining (formerly used as a chapel), over which an additional suite of bed-rooms has been lately erected, together with a Billiard-room. There is also a racket-court at one end of the mansion, and there has been laid out upon the Mansion altogether since the occupation of the present lessee, nearly £800. Also a beautiful GARDEN, VINERY and PLEASURE GROUNDS attached and Outbuildings a short distance from the house, consisting of a neat Flagged yard, Barn and four-stalled stable, Cow-house, with four standings; Chambers and Dove-Cote over Carriage-house to one side, Cart-house and convenient storehouse on the other; with a Pump and plenty of water, a copper for boiling food for the pigs and cattle, with a piggery at each end and fed there from, and a granary extending over the whole.
THE LAND
Including the site of the Mansion and Gardens, containing 14 acres, 3Rods and 14Perches of excellent meadow and pasture land, conveniently divided and well-watered and fenced. The whole of the above is let on lease to R.J. C. Elwes, Esq., for 10 years from 10th May 1853 at a yearly rent of £67 10s. and a further annual rent of £7 10s during the continuance of the lease making a total rent payable of £75 per annum, the lease being determinable by the lesee giving notice at the end of the first five years.

Not sure what is meant by Pleasure grounds, not a fairground I am sure!

Tom

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Diddy, Andrea and Tom.

Wow.    I guess I was born too soon ,I could have visited my aunt and stayed at Aislaby  Hall  This has all happened with in a week its amazing . my family were farmers at Brafferton Durham and I have still have some to trace .  it was only when I got Ann's death certificate that I found out whom she had married  the mind boggles as to what I shall find with the rest of the family,  I have been going through parish records and found that Francis and Christina had  13 children [at the last count] and his parents were Richard and Hannah Hutchinson again from Slab,
thanks again
Jean