Author Topic: Watkins of Aislaby Hall  (Read 11676 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watkins of Aislaby Hall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Jean,

If you were well off you could afford to live in big house and announce your births, deaths and marriages in newspapers.

Here are a few more for you:

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times Friday, November 30, 1849.

November 17, at Darfield Church, John Watkins, Esq., of Clapham Surrey, and late of Aislaby Hall, Yorkshire, to Fanny Ann, eldest daughter of Mr. Ebenezer Elliott, the celebrated corn-law rhymer, of Hargate House, near Barnsley.

This may not be your family but a previous owner of Aislaby Hall.

The Hull Packet Tuesday, June 16, 1807
 Lately, Mr. John Johnson Hayes, son of –Hayes, Esq., of Aislaby Hall, near Pickering, to Miss Moon, daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Moon, attorney at Bridlington.

The Hull Packet and Original Weekly Commercial, Literary and General Advertiser  Tuesday September 15, 1807;
Marriages
On Saturday last, at Whitby, Mr. Francis Watkins, to Miss Christian Bogue, both of that place.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, June 2, 1843

On the 30th ult.,at St Mary’s Whitby, by the Rev. James Andrew, Mr. J.T. English, to Sarah, second daughter of the late Francis Watkins, Esq.,of Aislaby Hall, near Whitby.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times Friday, March 30, 1849
Deaths
   March 22, at the residence of A. W. English Esq., Denmark Hill, Surrey, Sarah, beloved wife of Mr. J.T. English of Stamford, and daughter of the late Francis Watkins Esq., of Aislaby, near Whitby.

The Hull Packet and East Riding Times  Friday, October 16, 1846
Marriages
October 7, at Paris, Francis Williams, fifth son of the  late Francis Watkins, Esq., Aislaby Hall, Whitby, to Marie-Columbo Cesanrine, second daughter of Charles Claude Garnier, Juge de Paix, Chevalier de Legion d’Honneur, Paris.

Have sent you a PM so you can look up a few more yourself!!

Tom

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 February 10 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tom

I will try that,   Have you checked out John Watkin , he was a poet playwrite  author and one of the leaders in the Chartist movement , He was jailed in 1839 but released by the home secretary in 1840  He married Fanny Ann Elliott the daughter of Ebenezer Elliott [worth looking at] John said his father was like Rothschild and had about 40,000 per year.
BFN
Jean

Offline Jeneagles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 April 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
I know that this thread is quite old now, but thought it was worth pointing out that you are confusing 2 Aislabys in Yorkshire, one at Pickering and the other just outside Whitby, which is the one your Watkins family come from. Not Pickering.

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 April 11 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello

The Watkins are from Whitby this is given on census etc  they were all in the 1841 census. The father must have died shortly after as marriages in the early 1840's all state that their father the late Francis Watkins of Aislaby Whitby.  I presume that the Hall was sold as later census all give the siblings as land owners and of personal wealth. 
Thanks for the interest.
Jean

Offline Jeneagles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 April 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Francis Watkins died in the 1850's and you are quite correct in that they lived at Whitby and sold the hall. The info given earlier on here was for Aislaby at Pickering not Whitby. One of my ancestors knew John Watkins when he was fighting for universal suffrage and before he went to prison and his family disowned him for his part in the Chartist movement in South Durham and North Yorkshire. My ancestor made the mistake of thinking the family lived at Pickering and ended up there rather than at Whitby. Fortunately he was taken in by Thomas Hayes, who was the vicar of Middleton. There is quite a lot of info on the net about John Watkins.
Hope that helps
Jen

Offline FaerieFan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 10:07 BST (UK) »
We holidayed at Aislaby Hall in May 2001. At that time the house had not undergone the refurbishment later carried out.  It was a lovely old home, with  (what looked like) many of the original fitments and in the kitchen the servants call system.
I do have some photos of the gardens and a view of the back of the house and am happy to post if you are interested.
Noon:  Middx. Ratcliffe, Shoreditch, Stepney, Mile End and Essex

Perry: Shoreditch

Twitchett:  London

Trim / Trimm:  London

Offline jayby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 15:57 BST (UK) »
To Faerie Fan
Thank you so much , I would love to add the photo's to my family tree,

regards
Jay

Offline FaerieFan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 March 13 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am sorry to be so late in replying, but haven't had time recently to get on here.  I am abroad at present, but once home wil upload photo's and send them to you.

regards

FF

Have just found a couple of photo's that I posted to fb.  The door in the wall leads from the main garden to the kitchen garden.  And the other is looking down the main garden.
Noon:  Middx. Ratcliffe, Shoreditch, Stepney, Mile End and Essex

Perry: Shoreditch

Twitchett:  London

Trim / Trimm:  London

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
Looks a lovely place.