Author Topic: LoneyBones Scavenger Hunt - Part 2...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 40818 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: LoneyBones Scavenger Hunt - Part 2...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 02:15 GMT (UK) »
I think the surnames; ENNIS, INNIS, INNES are posabilities.  I'd even consider EMMS.  ;D
Also; DAVIS, DAVIES.
And I think she was always partial to the BALFOUR,  so chuck it into the pot as well.
If that's not too much to ask, it should keep you out of mischief.  ;D
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Co-respondent : William LARSON ... could be mistranscribed as Carson, Larsen, Larsson, etc and of course as Lawson  ;D

Also there's those two wee babies buried at Hillend in late 1860's.... un-marked graves .... could explain some of that time gap too...

Cheers,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Just to alert you to an uncommon? occurence.

John and 16 yo Elizabeth Lawrence left Ireland for the Hunter River area in NSW in 1840. They had 9 children around the Scone area.The youngest was registered as illegitimite by his father John Lawrence.

It turns out that Elizabeth Lawrence had deserted her husband shortly after they arrived and run off with Robert Fitzgerald who she may have met rrior to leaving home, who promptly too the name John Robert Lawrence.

Two years later Robert John Lawrence married Elizabeth Laurence widow after her first husband had died. They continued to live as Lawrences's until their deaths.
(from Barbara Baynton by Penne Hackforth Jones [penne and I share common gggrandparents not of the above line])

There is guarantee that the JOHN ENNIS with Elizabeth in Sodwell's creek is her husband. Most likley but do not assume it as fact.

Emms is one of my brick walls  so I have looked at most of these at some time or another Ennis is also familiar territory with surname but the fellow is still missing!!! NO postitve death or burial after last known documentation in 1832.

Will keep looking.

ta JM

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Umm,

Err,  short version of story on moi tree....  My John Ennis died in Sydney 1842.  He left his estate to his young grandchildren, but they were all surnamed BROWN  ;D .......... John Ennis' daughter (b Sydney 1809, d Sydney 1840) had married a John Brown, widower in 1828, (Groom was widowered in June 1827, weeks after youngest child born on the voyage, Plymouth to Sydney).  That 1827 baby .......err ......... she was raised as though a grandchild for John Ennis, and she was a major beneficiary in John Ennis' estate  ;D, so Moi "ENNIS" line ceases in 1842... 

Of course its possible that the father of Elizabeth's two youngest girls was not the same father as the older children, but .... the birth registration for Matilda Alice in 1873 just has to be for Leonie's Elizabeth (online it shows the mother's given names as Elizabeth Annie B).  NSW Birth Certificates are meant to show the date and place of the parents' marriage.   :D but these were rural births, so I'm not convinced all the details would be on the NSW BDM Reg. Gen's ledgers  ::)

Ummmm,  LB, do you have Matilda's birth certificate, and if so, does it show date and place for parents' marriage, does that match with your NZ records etc etc and etc...  ;D  Does it show "previous issue"  ;D  ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 03:38 GMT (UK) »
John's name is on birth certs for Emily Louise and Martha Alice born June 1873.Also at this time their eldest daughter Constance/Constantia was on the verge of marriage, October 1873.  But as you say, never assume.  ;D
Also a photograph, a copy of which has been in the family ever since, was taken of Elizabeth & John in 1873-ish. Not positively dated, but 99% sure was taken 1873, before the birth of Martha Alice.
I didn't post that photo, but I can if you like. In fact I will, because then I can get opinions, is Elizabeth pregnant? If so then it was taken in 1873. Also another photograph discovered of Constance entitled Miss Ennis, so before she married. I won't post that one. Not relevent I think.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear, sorry JM, yes I do. Didn't I mention that?  :-[  ;D
Both certs, for Emily Louise and Martha Alice, have John Ennis as father and marriage 1851, Auckland.

Added;  3 males and 3 females living.
We'll get syncronised in a minute.   ;D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Umm,

Similar dress to photo with Emily Louise !  Does she look pregnant in the photo with Emily Louise?  I can't tell as she's seated with the baby on her lap.  What month in 1871 was Emily Louise born?  Matilda Alice born June 1873 ... ... Re this photo with both John and Elizabeth, could it have been taken late 1872-early 1873 ... ie before her waist would "thicken"... or are there perhaps several "hoops" in her skirt hiding the future Matilda...

Perhaps the photo/deciphering experts at RChat may be able to help  ;D

Ta, LB, you probably did mention the info about the father's name and marriage info, but I had not checked back through the old thread  ;D

Err.... do you have photos of family gathered for that Oct 1873 wedding for Constantia?  If so, err.... what dress was Elizabeth wearing  ;D  ( I'm a sticky beak, sorry  ;D just ignore the question, its not really relevant)

Cheers,

JM

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 04:27 GMT (UK) »
It's exactly the same dress.  ;D She has added the lace jabot for the standing photo.
All the photos were taken the same day, at the A & A photography studio at Hill End.
An original copy of this photo is in the possession of my inconsiderate, none sharing cousin. Not Cyril.
It's also in the Holterman Collection at the Mitchell Library, Sydney, along with the photo with child, Miss Ennis, Miss E.Ennis and a gadzillion other photos of Hill End families. Perported to have been taken by Henry Beaufoy Merlin, who by the way died in 1873. However, he did have others working with him and the studio went on without him.
No wedding photos that I'm aware of.  ???  :'(   Wouldn't they be a gift.  :o  :D

Added; just realised, it HAD to be 1873. Any earlier and she wouldn't have had a child that age...any later and Miss Ennis would have been Mrs Gardner.

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 04:37 GMT (UK) »
I have edding photo from 1885 and it looks just  like a formal photgraph. They wore their best dressses  not wedding gwons as we know today.

Robyn
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire