Author Topic: Carroll's of Cork Ireland  (Read 8067 times)

Offline heaven1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carroll's of Cork Ireland
« on: Monday 01 February 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello This is my first time posting to this site. I was hoping someone could help me find some information. Is there a web site were I can look at the 1901, 1871,1851,1891 Census? I have the 1911 census.
If the birth records didn't start till 1864 how would I find my great grandfathers birth date, I know he was born in 1859.
His name was Daniel Carroll of Millstreet. He was married to Catherine Kelleher of Millstreet, they were married Feb. 22,1887 Diocese of Kerry, Parish of Millstreet R.C. In the 1911 census it shows them living house number 4 in Mill Lane Lower ( Drishane, Cork ) How would I find out when Daniel and /or Catherine died and maybe even were their graves might be? I am planing a trip in the next years or so and would love to have all the information I can.
Thank you very much for your time and your help.
Vivian

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Carroll's of Cork Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 10 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello This is my first time posting to this site. I was hoping someone could help me find some information. Is there a web site were I can look at the 1901, 1871,1851,1891 Census? I have the 1911 census.
If the birth records didn't start till 1864 how would I find my great grandfathers birth date, I know he was born in 1859.
His name was Daniel Carroll of Millstreet. He was married to Catherine Kelleher of Millstreet, they were married Feb. 22,1887 Diocese of Kerry, Parish of Millstreet R.C.

....How would I find out when Daniel and /or Catherine died and maybe even were their graves might be? ......

The only other census available is the one for 1901, the older returns have not survived. The  1901 details are due to be added to the National Archives website this year.

For a birth (or Baptism) records before civil registration you will need to investigate church records. Some parish records for Co. Cork are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.irish-roots.ie but they cover mostly the North-East of County Cork, and may not cover Millstreet. Some records are also due to be added to a free website at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/  (although it's not clear which parishes they are going to add)

References to records after 1864, like the deaths of Daniel and Catherine, should be available on the Irish Civil Index on familysearch. See the Ireland Resources section  for more details on ordering certs and the details they include.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 10 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Vivian,

Welcome to rootschat. :D
just one thing  - I'm not sure from your post whether you have the marriage certificate. If not, you can find it through the link which Shane has given re civil index and then apply for it- again through the link which Shane has given so expertly.
The marriage certificate would give you Daniel and Catherine's fathers' names which may assist in finding a baptism.
The Family Search site has a baptism for a Daniel but that is 1861- would imagine that there may be a few around of the same name.

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heaven1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much.
I do have Daniel & Catherine's Marriage cert. and Catherine's Baptism record.
I now have both their parents names I even found marriage cert. for Catherine's parents.
Can anyone tell me how do I find out where and when Catherine & Daniel past.
I'm not finding anything for their deaths. I am almost 100% that they didn't come to the US. I know most of their kids did. But nothing showing that Catherine or Daniel did.
Thank you again for your help.
Vivian

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:14 GMT (UK) »
If Daniel and Catherine died after civil registration started in 1864, they should be included in the civil index mentioned earlier. There's at least one possibility for the death of Daniel :

Name: Daniel Carroll
 Registration district: Millstreet
 Record type: Death
 quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1928
 Volume: 5 / Page: 267

when searching for surnames like Carroll it's a good idea to also try O'Carroll

To order a cert see Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon on the Ireland Resources section, and Details included on a Death Cert

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
That site would have death registrations but I can see that it would be difficult because the names are not uncommon.
The only thing I can think of is to try to establish approximate years of deaths through any family knowledge. Are there any family records/letters etc?
You could also try asking for Parish records at the local church or library- you may be able to look yourself on your visit.
heywood

PS just seen that Shane has provided some help too.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heaven1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank You so much, ya'll are great.
If you happen to come across someone looking for info on a Daniel Carroll d. 12/5/1886 in MI. mother Bridget Carroll father Thomas Carroll from Ireland, I have death record from State of Michigan County of Genesee. I ordered by mistake. If you know anyone that needs it let me know and I'll scan it for them.
Vivian

Offline njKelleher77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 March 10 01:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a relative called Catherine Kelleher, born 10 Oct 1866
in Drishane, Millstreet, Cork, Ireland . Mother was Ellen Mcarthy 1841 and Father Jeremiah Kelleher 1840.

Any Relation???

Offline heaven1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 March 10 03:31 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother was Catherine Kelleher But her mother was Ellen Conway, father was Timothy Kelleher. Sorry