Author Topic: ROBINSON, Bray?  (Read 7048 times)

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROBINSON, Bray?
« on: Monday 01 February 10 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Shane, that sounds very interesting.  My great grandmother, Mary Teresa Josephine Robinson was born in Bray about 1848.  Her father was James Robinson, a carriage trimmer and her mother was also Mary.  Would be interested to know if the Robinsons had an entry or if any carriage manufacturers are listed in the Directory.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Towns in Co. Dublin, 1848
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I dont see any sign of a listing for James or carriage builders in the 1848 directory, but there a number of car owners in Bray, (which are not listed in that edition of the directory) and a listing in Little Bray for a 'J. Sharman, coach agent & vintner'

I've uploaded preview of the page for Bray at this link : http://www.rootschat.com/links/07z2/

In the 1863 directory there are a number of trades listed in Little Bray that might indicate that coach/car/carriage building may have taken place there -  i.e. wheelrights, car owners, carpenters

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ROBINSON, Bray?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that speedy reply, Shane., and thank you for posting the page.  No Robinsons atall that I could see.

Mary TJ and her brother, Luke were in Manchester by 1868 when she married my gt grandfather.  Her mother Mary and sister Margaret were there by 1871 as I found them on the census.  The father, James had died by 1871 - but where is the question.  They definitely came from "Dublin" and Bray is family oral history - but it may not be quite correct, of course.  I've posted this info in case someone else comes across the thread - I'm not expecting you to do anything with it  :)

Thank you again for your reply

Offline amp-qld

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 12 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hope you're still in contact with this website.  Mary T Robinson was my 2nd great grandmother and I have much the same information as you plus an unconfirmed snippet that Mary's mother was Mary O'Brien.  I grew up in Manchester but now live in Australia.

Adrian Prince

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 August 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Adrian

We've been in touch some while since - I'm Mary, second cousin to Sue.  Sorry I'm not a new contact!

I'm pleased you're obviously still on the family history trail - I've not been so active (family history wise) recently, having run into several brick walls at once.

If you post another reply, you'll be able to exchange PMs (private messages) with me and anyone else on here.  Otherwise I'm still on my old email address - it's not the done thing to put email addresses on open posts to avoid spam.

Best wishes   :)